Would you make an appointment for this? adult content

At DD's 2yr checkup, she had been having diarrhea and loose stool for 2 weeks. The doctor said it was a stomach bug that has been going around, focus on fluids and the BRAT diet(which I had already been doing). He also said to cut out diary and sugar, which I did too. Well, its going on almost 5 weeks now and hasnt gone away. In fact, I have caught her stomach bug 4 times now. Each time it only lasts 2-3 days, but is a horrible couple of days.
I know its not the water, because we have lived here nearly 6 months and this is the first we have had problems. Its not the diet, because the symptoms didnt change when I changed the diet. A few other parents in the area have mentioned their kid has this problem too, but the doctors cant do anything about it and tell them the same thing they told me.

Should I make an appointment? For me or her? Or both? It doesnt seem to cause her as much discomfort as I am having. The only symptom we have is upset stomach and diarrhea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Health

• I would think of hepatitis .
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I want to withdraw my answer above. I think that it is too extreme. I would take the LO in.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thank you for your suggestion, but I had a full physical for work done and everything came up clean.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• it may just be the water. the water treatment does do changes to how they process water. you could take it in to have it tested. i only say this because other kids in the neighborhood has had it. if it is truely a stomache bug then get some bleach or lysol and wipe all doorknobs, handles, switches, anything you touch on a daily basis. and yes i would take here in 5 weeks is along time to have a bug. and dont drink after eachother or anything like thatand wash your hands often. that is about the only way to break the cycle and stop passing it between the two of you.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would try a strong round of probiotics and bottled water.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Is she alergic to any food? I was thought I had stomach bug but it was food allergies.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Theres a virus that LO's can get, google Rotavirus. Is she in daycare?
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Need to have stool cultures done!!
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 8:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Something that long I would make an appointment. Sometimes they may refere them to a gastroenterologist if its been going on that long with no diagnosis. My best guess would be chronic gastroenteritis, Ciliac disease, or less common an inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohns disease (my dad has this). Sometimes toodles just get recurrent diarrhea for no reason. Much the same as adults get tension headaches. Children get belly aches and diarrhea. Good luck!
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2011