my six month old has 2 teeth. one halfway in and one a third of the way in. should i brush them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, and you should have been wiping her gums off twice a day prior to her having teeth... Now that she has them, use a washcloth or a finger brush and water, there is no reason for toothpaste of any kind.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• you should wipe them with water and a finger brush or light cloth 2 times a day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• thanks for being snobby sabrina. my pedi never said we should be doing that
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

•  All of my baby teeth rotted out because my parents didn't swipe my mouth before I had teeth.  Lead to future problems with my permanent teeth.  Telling the truth isn't being snobby.  That IS something that should have been done.  That's in the past though and lets look towards the future and what you can do right now.  They have finger brushes, those work pretty well.  You just slip them on your finger and brush the gums and teeth.  My kids dentist recommends using fluoride toothpaste but you wipe it out with a washcloth so that the little ones don't swallow it.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Why is there no reason for toothpaste?!  I've NEVER heard that one.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• what i did was i make sure he drank water (bottled water mind you, nothing from the spicket) after every meal ...not alot mind you just about an ounce or two when he was born and then increased the amount as he got older. i will warn you that probably everyone will thumbs down me because they say not to let infants drink water...im not sure what age is deemed appropriate. But i found letting him drink some water after meals even as an infant really helped cleanse his mouth out. My mother did that for me as a baby, my sister, my grandma did that for her and i will say none of us have any health issues because we drank water as a baby. Im in my mid 20s and have never had a cavity in my life. Now that my son is two he uses a tooth brush but thats what i did when my son was younger since it worked for the rest of my family. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 4:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• i won't vote you down bobbysgirl. i do give her water
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2011