Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unemployed Parent of Disabled Child.......

First off, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this.

My 3 1/2 year son is Disabled (He has Autism), he does not talk at all, and requires most if not all of my time and attention. He also has therapist's which he see's 6 times a week and various other appointments that make it imposable for me to work. He does not function well in daycare. It's getting to the point where I can't afford to pay even the rent on my house. My husband works a full time job, plus various small side jobs and we are struggling to pay the bills. I'm sure your reading this thinking I'm not the only one lol. But I need help and I don't know where to turn.

My question is, is there any kind of help, or any place that could pay me to (I'm not sure how to word this right but...) almost be my child's caregiver or I guess CNA? Please, I really need help.

Thank you so much!

Answer Question

Asked by kaylaylshfr at 4:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 7 (192 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • do you get SSI for your son? No agency is going to pay you to care for your own child, but there may be other forms of assistance out there

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • Since your child is disabled you can probably get SSI for them. No one is going to pay for you to be your own child's caregiver. I can sympathize my son has Asperger's and when he was younger I spent a great deal of my day running him to therapy and dealing with meltdowns. I was already a SAHM so it didn't impact us as much.  Contact a support group for parents with Autistic children they will have a list of resources for you. 


    Answer by FricknFrack at 4:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.