Do your friends think they're better parents than you?

I have a friend or two that have had that attitude where they didn't think I knew what I was talking about when it comes to parenting and get all high and mighty whenever I offer tips or advice. It's like, I have two you have one. My kid's older yours is a newborn. Don't treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't care if she takes my advice or not. Whatever. Take it or leave it, just don't treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 4:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have 2 friends like that.  One of my friends only has 1 toddler and complains nonstop about how hard it is taking care of her.  How she is so tired all of the time, etc.  She even makes her husband stay at home with her when she is sick.  I'm like HELLO, I'm taking care of 3 little ones and I have another on the way and your complaining to me how hard it is to get a moments peace?!  Then when I offer suggestions to help her get some alone time she noses up.  Well, if you don't want advice then stop freaking complaining!  Whooo hoooo, venting on your post.  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think that because we all think so differently, and have different opinions we don't stop to listen to other moms who "aren't like us".  Sad cause we are probaly missing out on some good advice.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Only one of my friends thinks like that and as of a few days ago, I'm not sure if we're friends anymore. ( Long story) She is one of those people who thinks she is the perfect parent and has perfect kids. I know some things about her "perfect" children that she doesn't know, and believe me they are ANYTHING but perfect. I doubt she'd believe me if I told her though. She's also one of those people who thinks her way is the ONLY way and if you do anything differently, you are totally screwing up. At this point, I'm striving to do almost the OPPOSITE of what she has done with her kids.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• All parents think they are the greatest, it's part of the high of having a baby. But every child is different so every parent must be different in order to parent their child. What works for one may or may not work for another. My advice to you is to stop giving advice. This mother obviously doesn't want to hear it anyway and you are just making yourself upset. She will get over that new parent high soon enough. If your friendship is strong, things will adapt and regulated themselves. If not, write off the friendship and move on.
    DanielleB10

Answer by DanielleB10 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I HATE when people talk to me as if they don't know what I'm doing just because they have older kids. (Or more kids) That doesn't mean they know more then me and that doesn't mean they're better parents then I am/will be. I get it all the time (mostly from family members) who talk to me like I'm naive because they have older kids. One family member's son is a mere year older then my son and she talks to me as if I don't know what I'm doing. I give suggestions and tips when I think it's warrented, but I can't say I know any more then anyone else.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I don't either Jazz, I just offer tips and advice and she talks to me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I mean, having older children and more children does give a person a little bit more experience than a person with one child, but I'm not sitting there bragging about it, I'm just offering advice and tips. And she acts like I don't know what I'm saying. I just think it's rude that's all. I don't care if she takes my advice or not.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• i see wat u talking bout this is my 1st baby and i hate when people say "u need 2 learn how 2 do this or that". that makes me wanna realy go off
    1sttimemom853

Answer by 1sttimemom853 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I had a girlfriend that thought that drinking and hanging with friends with a bunch of people in her house of four girls was a good idea. I went over a few times not knowing how she got when things got blurry for her. She would yell at me for taking care of my then 4 year old and reading to him for bed and such. I am not a big drinker and she would just piss me off. Also she would tell me to beat my then 3 year old when she would have accidents. I never did and she was just fine. fathom that! She potty trained quickly. Or how she would do things and what I was doing wrong. I am no longer friends with her. She cheated on her husband, got pregnant while he was in Iraq and then aborted all behind his back. But yet I was the bad parent.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• LOL I am literally the only one of my friends that has a child.. so no! LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• No, but I wouldn't care if they did. They are the parents of THEIR kid, you of YOURS. The matches are that way for a reason. What works for one set won't necessarily work for another.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2011