Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugh, mold on our walls

This morning I moved our bed looking for a toy of my sons and found our entire exterior wall, by the floor boards, covered in mold. I don't think its black mold, it looks more greyish in color, and its winter time, so obviously there's tons of moisture. My concern is because I'm pregnant. Everything I found on google said since because I was pregnant we should probably replace the entire wall, and the insulation/wooden beams inside it, just to be on the safe side. My SO just wants to clean off the mold with bleach as it appears and be done with it. Normally I'm not one to spaz out over mold, but being pregnant I'm not sure how great of a risk I'm in. What would you do, just bleach the wall, or cut it out, clean it out and then replace it?

 
ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 19 (7,805 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • OK We just ran into this issue. It was giving us major health issues in this house. Hubs has a friend who owns a mold removal business. Do NOT just flat out use bleach right away. Wash the wall Dawn soap and warm water. Let that dry and THEN use the bleach water mix. What people do not realize is that if you do not wash the area first with soap and water the mold can actually grow worse with just bleach used on it. I forget exactly why hub's friend said that is but you need to was it with soap and water first. Hubs just left a second ago but when he gets back in I will ask him for all the steps we had to do on our walls. Hubs cleaned our mold issue because I was the one who was so sick from it.

    tiddliwinks

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • Don't use 100% bleach. Wash the walls with a hot water detergent solution 1st. Then a hot water bleach solution. Then hit it with Kilz paint.
    And don't stay in the room til the mold is gone.
    twinsplus2more

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • Bleach will only seem to fix the problem but mold treated this way will come back, if you are going to do it do it right with an specialist in the subject.
    older

    Answer by older at 4:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • I don't know honey, but I would call my ob and ask! In the mean time, check your bed to make sure there wasn't any transfer, and use a bleach solution to clean the wall. DON'T place the bed back against that wall, and I would pull any other furniture away from the wall too! Do you own the house? If so call your homeowner's insurance carrier, and ask them if you are covered for mold, because it will probably be an expensive undertaking to get rid of it for good. If you are renting, MOVE. And I would check the other rooms in the house for mold, behind the couch, tv, or beds in other rooms.
    MamaAlice54

    Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • Bleach will kill the bacteria and sanitize the walls. It's likely that it's not a "dangerous" mold (which are actually quite rare), but you may want to move your bed to a different location in the room and see if the mold returns.
    Scuba

    Answer by Scuba at 4:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • So in the mean time, because I don't want to be the one cleaning with bleach, am I good to sleep in there? SO wouldn't be able to get any cleaning done till about Tuesday. And I've already checked my mattress there's no visible mold there. Typically I sleep on the couch anyways cause its more comfortable, but now I'm paranoid. I'll call my OB tomorrow, I don't really constitute this an emergency to use the on call, I'm sure the Doc is trying to enjoy a superbowl party lol
    ba13ygrl1987

    Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • I would sleep on the couch. I say that because I am not pregnant and it gave me respiratory issues.
    tiddliwinks

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • You can't use straight bleach because there is something in it that makes the mold grow. You can use a bleach water mix though. First wash with antibacterial soap then let it dry. Then go back with straight hot water...as hot as you can get it. Then go back with 10% bleach water mix (hot water). That is it. This was the advice given to hubs by his friend who owns a mold removal business.

    tiddliwinks

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN