What have you done for your adult children on their birthday?

My son is going to be 20 in a few weeks and he is away at college and I just don't know what to do.
What have you done for a mile stone (or any) birthday for your kids as they get older??

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I write small stories about their life or make something simple/personal for them along with cash. They love the personal touch and the choice of what to buy.
    kbutts

Answer by kbutts at 2:50 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• If he's not coming home, I've sent things like movie tickets, and a gift certificate to a nearby restaurant so he could celebrate with a friend, as well as his presents.

I've also given gift certificates for amusement parks, miniature golf, bowling, go-karts, etc.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Send a care package - a party in a box so to speak. Little Debbie Cakes for the cake, noise makers, hats, party poppers, etc. A card and a gift too. That's what we have done for our son away at college. His birthday is in the fall, so he is away at school every birthday for the last 4 years.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• give him a surprise party when he gets home
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would call him to find out what he would like for his birthday. My son hasn't been away to college though. But I would probably send him a gift card.
    mcarlson94

Answer by mcarlson94 at 2:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• These are all good ideas. What I just did for my daughters 30 birthday is made her a photobook online. I did it in two weeks and believe me, it took ALL that time! It's a lot of work, but so worth it. If you're organized with pictures and have the dates, ages, etc., it will be much easier. Unfortunately, I wasn't organized beforehand. I've done calendars through Shutterfly, VistaPrint and a photobook through RitzPix. Everyone that received these gifts loved them!
    JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 8:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Take him out to dinner when he come home.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• For my daughter's 21st birthday I bought her a string of pearls. I figured her friends would all do something drinking-related and I wanted her to have a true keepsake.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 2:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Money
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• A gift card from his favorite eatery place and some home made cookies.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011