question for Breastfeeding working moms

I have so many questions about pumping and going back to work. I have three weeks left until I go back to work part time. I'm only going back to work part time for two weeks then starting back full time after that. At each feeding I feed my son from one breast then at the next feeding feed him the other breast. So he is emptying my breast almost fully at each feeding. This has worked great for us. The only time that he will be getting a bottle is when I'm at work. I want to cont. to nurse him when I'm home. When I go back to work should I only be pumping the one breast that he would normally be feeding from? Or should I be pumping both breasts? What did you do when you went back to work and started pumping? Any tips would be great! Thanks :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just started pumping a lot. I was never very effecient at pumping. I had to do it often for even the smallest out put. I never supplemented though. Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group. There's some ladies over there who can give you all the info you need.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 5:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Pump the opposite side while you are feeding him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I went back to work part-time when DS was 6 weeks. I have always pumped both sides at the same time (I have a Medela Pump in Style). On occasion, I have ended up pumping right before getting off work, and then I go pick him up. Even when I'm seemingly "empty", he still gets enough to eat if he wants to nurse the minute I get there. If that's the case, he'll take both sides instead of one, but he's fine.

I work full-time one day a week, and on those days, mostly to keep up my supply and to have plenty for bottles for the coming week, I try to pump every two hours. I haven't had any problems.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I pump both at one time, every two hours at work. I go to work 3 days a week and work from home 2 days a week. Make sure you work provides you with a private room to pump, other than a bathroom. As long as your work has 50+ people you have a legal right to take as many breaks needed to express milk in a private room provided by your employer. Good luck Be sure to look up your rights before going back
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2011