is it easier to learn to knit or crochet?

Would love to learn to make blankets and scarfs. Someone tried to teach me both ages ago and never really got how to do it.

chris219

Asked by chris219 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Either.

I can knit many many things, a very delicate lace shawl with bats on, a giant dark purple winter cape, but i cannot for the life of me crochet anything
    Crochet is teh ebilz......

I end up with my fingers tied together and a hook up my nose.
    Try both.... or tunisian crochet, that's a mix.

Your fingers will tell you.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Crocheting is much easier. But knitting makes a much warmer blanket and more variety and pleasing patterns.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Crochet is easier to learn. But you can teach yourself either.......Wal-Mart has these great kits with books called I Can Teach Myself to ________ one kit crochet, one kit knit.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I suggest trying both. I learned to crochet when I was a teenager, and I learned to knit when I was pregnant. I never got the hang of crocheting, but I picked up knitting really easily.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• crochet is easier to learn and goes faster than knitting. But knitting looks nicer and there is more variety!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 5:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You have to try them both and then decide for yourself. Start on something simple like a cap. Then a scarf. Then try the blanket idea. Do not buy expensive yarn until you know you like this past-time. The local yarn shop might have a knitters' group or a crochet group called Stitch and Bitch. The ladies usually help each other.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• crocheting - once you get the hang of yarn tension for that, it's easier to learn knitting, IMO
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have heard it is easier to crochet. I would like to try my hand at it again. I have never attempted to knit.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• IMO-

Once you learn, the instructions for knitted patterns are easier to follow, than crochet patterns.

There are tons of video instructions on YouTube for both. Check several of those out, and see which you think would be easier for you. Do watch several different knitters and crocheters first; teaching styles and learning styles vary, so find someone that 'clicks' with your learning style before you decide. GL. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would say crochet. Also, once you get the hang of it, projecs work up alot faster. There's something to be said about quick progress.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 11:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2011