Dumbing Us Down:, The hidden curriculum of compulsory schooling:,... wonder who's read this

John Taylor Gatto has written and described today's national problem with watered down, robotic nonsense school systems. He compare the problem to going to battle with another nation. We have taken the children and put them into a vaccumn with high expectations and in essence not learning skills, and that it's better to have family, and community.

I think it would be best if we did what we know is most loving. Give our children a chance to accept themselves. WE are pushing them too much too fast. No wonder the competition to be so independent is numbing them up.

There is no education category, putting this in teens. (section)

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 5:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in

• I've read it. Very thought-provoking!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I just love the overview in the first page about his target to the matter. I can't wait to see what he's got to say!
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I actually had to delete my answer on here, and go read what he had to say. I agree with every word I read, but I didn't realize I did until I read it lol. I used to be the parent who thought year round school would be better for the kids, they wouldn't have so much time in between to forget what they were taught. I have always been a parent that said school is to long and it's for parents who really don't want or have the time to spend with their children that they should. Thanks Coffeeyum, I am now looking into home schooling, and seeing if we can get something started where families and kids volunteer around our community. You put me on a mission. God Bless you hun.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I am a firm believer of the remanant of the 60's children which I am from. It is obviously a huge problem when first here residents of this country , our United States would have been run by such fools. IT's atrocious to see how much it has accomplished and that means how much control. We need to be more grounded and less trickle down to see changes. Thank you kitchenwitch78!!
    Things are just too messed up and even we can't go ahead and teach them things unless it's school approved. I'm not against education, no not that, but to get kids to be approved to meet those S>A>T>"s and such drivel is too over the top.
    NO wonder those things happened to us in OK. '' with that and bombs etc. It's not a bullying thing. TOO MANY CHILDREN, and too much competition.
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I homeschool my children for this as well as many other reasons.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I do not see this at all, in either urban, public school my daughter has attended.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I've read some Gatto and I will agree that kids are being pushed in the wrong ways. Like Beth, I homeschool my kids because of the ideas he expresses, among countless other reasons.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Please tell me you don't homeschool your kids OP.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• hmm
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

Next question in
Did you know?

Next question overall (Religious Debate)
Good quote....WDYT?