Is it normal for a dog to act completely starved when you feed him?

We have had our new 4.5 month old puppy for 24 hours now. Last night when we fed him the recommended amount he inahled it, we gave a little more, he inhaled it. This morning fed him breakfast, inahled it. Just now a nice dinner, again, gone in 2 minutes. *I* couldn't eat the pile of food in the bowl and I'm 140 pounds bigger than him...he looks up like "that's it??"

Is this normal? I haven't had a dog since I was a teenager.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 5:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• It's more common with dogs who are detached from a home they knew. Like when you adopted him it probably gave him a little anxiety and he's using food to comfort himself. Trust yourself that he is getting enough to eat and don't encourage him to over eat. If you do he will become an emotional eater and beg for food to comfort himself. Not any different then a human doing the same thing. Just use positive attention to comfort him. Like playing with him, petting him, and giving him sweet words. He'll eventually grow to understand that the amount he gets is the amount he gets.

The hint to knowing whether he's begging for more and actually wanting more is exactly by his behavior. It sounds like your dog is asking for more just to comfort himself and make sure he doesn't miss out. Not because he's actually hungry. After meal time give him lots of loving not more food.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Probably a growth spurt but if it lasts, I'd call the vet tech and ask. Sometimes if a pet has worms, this can happen.
    Anonymous

• yes some will gorge themselves til they r sick thats y there is suggested amounts and u should only feed them 3 times a day
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 6:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yes, very normal. I had a lab who was NEVER over weight her whole life, but she ate like a horse. We always just kept her food bowl full, which my vet told me was fine as long as she didn't get over weight. She told me that you really only had to just feed your dog 3 times a day if it doesn't get enough exercise or they are over eaters.
    kirrasmommy0810

Answer by kirrasmommy0810 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have a 4 month old puppy who spent her first 2 months with 3 other dogs and now that she is a lone pup she still acts like a beast when it comes to feeding her and when I give her scraps she practically bites my finger off and runs with it, lol
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 6:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If you would see me feed my dog, you would think she never gets fed. Poor thing. NOT!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2011