What is the best way to get your baby to eat?

My 6 month old baby girl, Kirra, has been eating solids since she was 2 months old (yes I know WAY to early, but my mom talked me into it) and LOVES her food. She doesn't have teeth yet, so i started mashing up my own food and giving her what I think is safe. A few weeks ago she stopped eating her baby food, she will only eat grown up food now. I can get her to take 2 or 3 bites of something and then she won't open her mouth anymore. She isn't a very picky eater, the child ate braunschweiger (a german pork liver pate type thing) tonight for dinner, for those of you who have never had it, it is very strong and an aquired taste type thing. I don't know what to do, there are not very many foods that are safe to give her until she gets teeth. Any one have any ideas? HELP PLEASE! :0D

kirrasmommy0810

Asked by kirrasmommy0810 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is acting satisfied after just a few bites, go with it. Her tummy is still very small and she doesn't need very much to fill her. Just remember that milk (breast/formula) should be the main source of nutrition for her until she is at least a year.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• She does not need teeth to have table foods. Anything soft that can be mashed is fine in tiny amounts for her to learn how to eat it . I agree that she has a small stomach so it doesn't take much to satisfy her and formula or breastmilk should be given first and be her main source of nutrition.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My son went through a phase that lasted like 6 months where he did the same thing, we had to feed him in the bath. That was the only time he would actively eat and it worked so well. He eventually got over that phase.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 7:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• There are plenty of table foods that she can safely eat. Just make sure that they are soft, or cooked until soft, and cut VERY small.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I tricked her tonight and fed her in my lap while I was eating, she thought she was sharing mama's food and ate every bite of her baby corn, green beans, and beef. I think I have her figured out, she is just as stubborn as her mom and only wants what others have (like her mom? ha!)...thanks for your answers, first baby, not sure what the *@$! I'm doing yet :)
    kirrasmommy0810

Comment by kirrasmommy0810 (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• 2 months old? really? your mom shouldve known better. my dd 9 weeks old and i can't imagine giving her reagular people food.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 6:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yes, just rice cerel once a week or so...she was reaching for my food when I ate...it DID NOT make her sleep all night either...which is what my mom said
    kirrasmommy0810

Comment by kirrasmommy0810 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011