KIDS/STRESS

for some reason it seems when I help my oldest child with her home work she does not pay any attention and just wants me to do it for her; I would understand that if she was older but she is only 6yrs. She likes school as far as I know. I just need some advise I start to lose my cool when she does this for the most part I just raise my voice and I HATE myself for that because I know that is not good to do. my question is there a vitiamn or some form of over the counter item I can take to help me control my mood.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Health

• St johns wart but its not meant for one time use. Try deep breaths and if you feel like you are going to yell just walk away. If you give ultimatums for behavior- keep them! Try talking to her teacher. See if she is like this in the classroom as well. She may not understand the work or she may be bored because she alredy knows it. Its kind of the age too. Good luck!
    ShanAtoZ

Answer by ShanAtoZ at 6:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Couple of things: I can relate. Make sure when you're doing homework it's at the right time of day (not when they get home--burnout, not after a cookie or sugar or a wild playdate) for us it's after dinner when we can all focus and not rush to get it done. Also, no TV in the background, video games, other kid running around. And if this stuff doesn't even dent it, consider a tutor for a short time to see if it helps your child become a tad more serious. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's TOTALLY an age thing! My daughter started doing the same thing at that age, she's 9 now and we still occassionally have an issue with it. I agree with both answers. Doing homework immediately after school burns them out quick, sugar first drives everyone crazy and background noise and distractions are no help either. I talked to her teacher, it seems she was MOSTLY being lazy about school work when she was at home. I started making her try it on her own, and if she REALLY tried, afterwards she would get a reward. Sometimes a predinner sweet snack, or a point system and after so many points in a week she would get a prize. Also, if I knew she knew the work and (for lack of a better phrase) 'played dumb' I would tell her she needed to circle the number of the question and then ask her teacher for help. This put a pretty good stop to it because she knew her teacher knew she understood the work. good luck!
    brandy0827

Answer by brandy0827 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• This is normal. You could try helping her a little less. She is very young. When you are helping her she is not able to keep up. That is why she wants you to do it for her. She does not know the reasons, but I was a teacher for more than 30 years and I have seen this often. Say less. Say, "Let's try this together. Let's talk and then you write." Only do a tiny bit at a time. Remember it is her homework, not yours.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Homework is less of a fight in our home only because it is the FIRST thing they need done??? I let my kids know that the longer they mess around trying to get out of it...means less time with their TV, Music, and videogames... ~*Smiles*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Oh, and BTW... St.John's Wart will interfer with birth control... it'll be as if you have none??? So unless you are sterile or unable to have more... steer clear of it... I learned the hard way and I use Depo
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011