Please answer this one. My old dashund Dobey isn't doing well. Should I have

him put to rest? I love him so much (crying) but he can't hardly use his back legs, he eats and drinks a lot and has diarrhea all the time (in my house too) He just peed on my couch. :( He is getting skinning. He has cateracts but can still see some. He does fine going outside with me. He walks around and finds his way back to me. I cannot decide if I should let him die of old age or have him put down. Has anyone had to do this and did you regret it?

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 6:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• first ask yourself this. Is he in a lot of pain? would you wana live the way he is living? We had a dashound that finally just go so old she could barely walk and had gone pretty much blind and had major back issues as most dashounds get later in life due to jumping and there body stature it got to the point where we put her down we couldnt watch her suffer like that anymore she was clearly not her happy self anymore. it was hard and we cried but we dont regret it it was what was best for her.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Oh poor girl! You do whatever YOU feel is right! When my little dog got to the point where she cried everytime she moved and there was no way to make her feel better, we decided we just didn't want her to hurt anymore and made the trip to the vet. Was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but I felt better knowing she wasn't in pain anymore. Am so sorry for ya, big hug!
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 6:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thanks ladies. It makes me feel a little better knowing other did it for their dogs own good. :(
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's always hard but it's harder to watch them suffer. If the pup is hurting it's best for everyone that they cross the rainbow bridge, but they'll be waiting for you on the other side. :) http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thanks Mama Stuart. I will check out the website tonight.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yes I have had to do that two times. It is difficult to take them to the vet but I never wanted my dogs to suffer. I just loved them so much. I wanted to be there the whole time to love on them while they had their shots. I was the last thing they saw and they were not afraid. I will never regret doing that. If you love them so much you have to not want them to suffer anymore. I know you can do it. He needs you to be there for him right now. Step up and be there for him. I know you can do it. Good luck!
    vernalea

Answer by vernalea at 9:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• screaming

Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My mom had to make this decision of our dog growing up, she kept going into seizures and it was painful and unbearable. She was a wonderful dog and my mom had a friend who was a veterinarian come over to the house. We said our goodbyes and it was quick and painless and she cried over it. But to this day she says She believes she did what was best because the suffering for our "Bambi" and for us was horrible. I think its a personal decision and a very hard one to make. Good luck and wish you and yours the best.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 10:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2011