How do you raise your self esteem?

I've gained weight and do not feel good about myself. I avoid seeing old friends because I don't want them to see me looking like this.
How can I raise my esteem?
How do you raise yours?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Health

• Just keep in mind it takes at least 10 positive comments to cancel out one negative you say about yourself... first thing in the morning, while still in bed, before your feet touch the ground, repeat to yourself... "Something good is going to happen to me today"!!! Than start to find the things about yourself that are truly good! Like placing the needs of others above your own? Probably why ya gained the weight? How I got mine.. and if weight is an issue, hit up Freecycle and Craigs List for a jogging stroller (wheels are bigger is why) and take up walking? Stroller fit clubs through Yahoo groups or meetup.com?

But mostly Self-esteem is about loving the great things about yourself...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I was really fat after my kids were born. It is so depressing. Part of bringing up your self esteem is working at the problem but being realistic about the time frame it'll take. Keep chipping away at the weight by eating better and less processed foods and walking or doing some sort of long exercise regardless of weather. Don't postpone it. I didn't lose all my weight till my second kid was 4 years old. That's a lot of time being overweight. I also kept my hair nice, my makeup nice so I didn't feel like such a troll. But ya gotta keep working at it to bring up the self esteem. You'll be able to do it, just accept that it takes time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I do it by believeing the weight loss will happen and dressing myself for the body I have.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I fix myself up putting on makeup & straighten my hair, or even if im going to my moms ill dress up, people start to tell me that i look pretty n it makes me feel good,i also tell myself that i have kids& a family now its normal to have gained weight, i used to be a size 3& just yesterday i went shopping for a dress, it was a size 10 of course i told df he needs to go running w/me to motivate me, but i still bought the dress, when df & i went out i caught a few guys checking me out.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• U shouldn't avoid ur friends...if anything they should support you...look into what you like about yourself...don't start looking all bumish...just be active...don't start stressing while u get to ur goal have fun with life...life is short mama don't stop life in somethn that is fixable...
    diosa694

Answer by diosa694 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have used self hypnosis CDs with good success. And I try to exercise every day. Exercise keeps the blood circulating through the brain more which helps you think better.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I totally know what you mean. I love food....and well I eat it whether I'm happy or sad or whenever!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Me too....I'm the biggest that I've ever been before....I feel so ashamed. I plan on starting weight watchers and once the weather warms up I'm going to be going for walks with my kids and getting up and doing exercises in the morning.
    I find that I build myself by doing good for others and learning new things and just getting out with my peers.
    Just know your not alone! xoxoxo If you want to talk sometime msg me!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thanks CABlonde. I'm not going to be on the computer much longer tonight. Every year I say the same thing and every year I gain more. I don't have self control. I have to get my portions under control & exercise, but I love good food and I hate exercising..
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011