How to deal with his whining and misbehavior?

My Son is driving me crazy with his constant whining and behavior. He's been throwing his food, pushes, pokes his Sister, etc. I'm always putting him in the corner and it doesn't seem to work. any ideas? He's 3 and a half years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• duct tape and hog tie him....lol jk...time outs make him sit there for at least 5 minutes but dont start the timer til he quits crying
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 6:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My son has been acting out too. I just started suppernanny's tricks and it seems to be working! I put him in time-out which is sitting on his bed bc we don't have stairs. I then go and put 4mins on the timer. If he gets up, I place him back on time out without speaking to him and reset the timer. When he stays on time out for a full 4mins I go in and ask for my apology, if he doesn't apologize I walk away and come back. After he says sorry we then hug and kiss and life goes on. I have finally regained some control! Good luck!
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• When my daughter went through that, instead of regular time out, I made her stand in front of the wall but she wasn't allowed to touch it at all, no leaning... nothing. We would also seclude her if she couldn't be nice, she would eat alone and not be allowed to participate in anything with the rest of the family. We would tell her that if she was going to be mean and ugly we didn't want to be around someone who was going to treat us that way. If she wanted to behave that way, she could behave that way by herself. It took a while, but she eventually got the point. GOOOOOD LUCK!!!
    brandy0827

Answer by brandy0827 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Time outs don't work for all kids. What worked for us was realizing that each child has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to him.  We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment.   It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, occasionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it.  Zero in on what makes him tick.  Be Consistent!!   Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again".  That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on.  Have him make eye contact with you when you talk to him.  Plus make sure he gets enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when he does things right.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My kids the same way. I told them that if I have to repeat myself I will put them in time out I don't care what I ask. If I call and they don't answer I will put them in time out. I am fed up with thier behavior and antics. They shaped up real quick but then again my kids find that to be cruel and unusual punishment. I am just tired of calling and calling or begging them to pick thier stuff up. Enough is enough!
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2011