I've wanted to write books all my life but don't think I am good enough. How do you know if you are?

I wrote a book in 1st or 2nd grade just for my own self. I was hooked. But I don't really know if I am any good, I never showed anyone because I don't want to be hurt if they are bad. lol Does anyone write books on here and do you do it publicley? thanks

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 6:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• look up Writer's Digest online. They sometimes have contests and such that you can submit work for. Also, there is a lovely group of ladies on Cafemom with a group called The Written Voice. Some of the ladies in that group are published. You could check that group out for tons of information. Just remember that for every person who tells you "no", there are 10 more who might say "yes". In the end, go with your dreams and do what makes you happy. Good luck in your writing!!!!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 4:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• start writing on here to see peoples reaction...there is always going ot be someone who hates your writing....after all there are people that hate twilight
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 6:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I know I am good but I just do it. I write on paper bags and napkins and my hands and paper towels. Do you believe it do it Just do it you will know and everyone else will know.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure if there is a way to tell if you are "good enough". My suggestion would be to start writing and passing them out to friends, and family and find websites for amateur writers. Write e-books and such. Maybe even write a book and start sending it in to publishers. Expect to get turned down a lot. If you ever want a strangers opinion I'll read whatever you write lol, I love reading other peoples stuff.

Good Luck!!!!!
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If you think you're good, you're golden. Don't worry about what other people think. Someone is always going to disagree with your writing. Try writing every day, for a set period of time (15 minutes, even) and just free write. Spend your day plotting or thinking of ideas. The more effort and planning you put into it, the better the story will be and the easier it will be to go along with. You'll notice it, and future readers will notice it too. :-)

I've written a few books, but I haven't published (or even attempted) publishing them yet, because they're not ready. I've had short stories and poems published though. Not everyone liked them, and criticism does suck. But (and it's hard, trust me) you've got to ignore it all, and only listen to the good stuff.

Message me if you want to talk more or if you'd like to be writing buddies. :)
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Try writing paragraphs for women's magazines. Then when you find a couple of magazines you like try writing some short articles. Then try some short stories. Gradually build up the length. You will find that your skills will improve with practice. Then start on that novel you have in the back of your mind. If you ask at your local library they may have some books about writing as a paying hobby. As an adult it is more difficult than when you were a child because your mind will hold so many more ideas. You might enjoy taking some creative writing courses and these will give you some contacts too.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• How good you are isn't dependent on the masses. There are going to be some people who will dislike your work and others who love your work. It isn't any different from one person loving Mysteries and another person disliking them. It's that way from author to author as well. I dislike greatly how some of the most famous authors right, but clearly they're famous because someone likes them. With that said, you can't know until you try. You need to put yourself out there and get the most honest friend/family member you know to read your work. Even if it's bad don't give up on yourself, because clearly it's something you love. Take their advice and grow from it, use their advice to better yourself. Get other's opinions and grow from that. Be true to yourself, but allow yourself to be open to what others have to say. Again, you won't know if you don't try.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• start a public blog. I think that would be the best way. People would be able to get samples of your writing and give you feedback.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Look for groups on this site for reinforcement. Look online to see if there are any groups that are set up for the genre that you write (i.e. RWA). Sometimes they will have chapters in certain areas where you can attend meetings and increase your resources. If you find some other writer in your area that you get along with, you can form a critique group and everyone can benefit from that (you must be careful of who you share your work with because some won't be so nice with their critique). And lastly, grow a very thick skin. Most of all, it's important to know your voice and to love what you are writing. If you do, others will likely love it too.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thank you ladies for the positive comments. I will keep you in mind kitchenwitch. lol
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2011