How can I stop emotional eating?

I'm a stress eater. Seems that eating actually helps me to think. But I wind up gaining weight too quickly. I feel stress (can't eliminate that), but I need to know how to deal with stress better. A simple sigh, a deep breath, count to ten, or taking a break does not help me because I'm a chronic. The only way until now that I have dealt with this problem is to remove myself from access from the kitchen or anywhere there's vending machines. But, I really need to find a better way since most places have access to food.

How can I control stress eating while being around food?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Health

• I feel stress as well...gotta go out do sum activity...hang with friends...pamper urself...I tend to eat a lot if I stay home then I start the thinking and d boo hoo...
    diosa694

Answer by diosa694 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• try drinking more water or use a delicious flavored gum to substitute for food.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• The only way that you can control it is to put control to it. If you want to stop them you need to talk yourself down from getting more food. The only way you're going to find relief is if you eliminate the problem. Which in your case is a double edged sword, so to speak. On one hand you're stressed and there's always going to be a source to that and on the other hand you have to eat. However, if you stand up and say "No, I'm not going to go get that piece of cake." you will be making one step towards your goal. The first step isn't only admitting you have a problem it's also standing up to that problem. The second step is to find ways to relieve stress. Some find it helpful to take part in a hobby, others find it helpful to write in a journal. Eliminating stress the best you can is the best way, but we all know that's not neccissarily possible.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Dwelling will only cause more stress and only cause more anxiety, which leads to eating more. So try to find that outlet. Stepping back and taking a deep breath only really helps with the anxiety stress can cause. It doesn't help relieve the stress. Taking a nice long bath, a nice long walk, having a girls night out/in, or just simply sitting on the floor and playing with your kids. Just whatever you can do outside of eating to relax you. It won't work overnight. It's going to be a process that will take a lot of will power. You have to believe that you can overcome this. Overeating, emotional eating, any kind of eating outside of neccessity is only in the mind. It's our dependence that we've created to repress something. Figure out the issue behind it and make the right steps to solve that issue. All while reminding yourself "Food is not the answer" .. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• when your frame of mind changes , when you dont need to fill a space that takes your mind off your troubles , when you dont need a distraction so bad from your troubles , when the depression lifts , when you get more sleep , when you can actually not let things get to you this far to eat to distract yourself from the real issues , this AND MORE IS HOW YOU STOP EMOTTIONAL EATING , yeah im a expert on this issue
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Start with baby carrots and celery sticks... at least they won't load it on if you eat them and I heard the crunchy helps you feel like you ate more
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2011