How much should a 6 month old be sleeping?

Kirra sleeps about 10 -12 hours a night and I can't get her to nap more than10-20 minutes. She also wakes up every 1-2 hours and eats about an ounce. Is this normal?

kirrasmommy0810

Asked by kirrasmommy0810 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every baby is different..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 6:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My son was like your daughter, barely slept (still like that, only much less than 10 hrs now). At that time people said he was teething (he was), but now I think it's just because he's alert. He picks up (learns) EVERYTHING. You may have an inquisitive baby on your hands. :) Good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 7:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If she's waking up and only eating an ounce, she's probably not really hungry but sucking for comfort. You should try to get her back to sleep without feeding her and wait until she is hungry - when she is, she will eat.
    My 6 month old sleeps through 12 hours at night, and then takes two 2 hour naps/day. But all kids need different amounts of sleep - if she seems happy, then it's probably the right amount of sleep.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2011