HELP!!I NEED TO GET RID OF THE BOTTLE

MY SON IS 14 MONTHS OLD AND WILL NOT GIVE UP THE BOTTLE,IF I TAKE IT FROM HIM HE SCREAMS UNTIL HE MAKES HIMSELF SICK. WHAT AM I TO DO????????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the same problem with my daughter. I just let her use the bottle until she wanted to give it up. When she was 2, i sent her twice a week to a preschool/daycare. That helped because she didn't want to suck on a bottle in front of the other kids. Ah, the power of peer pressure. It works every time.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• the only thing that worked for me was while she was sleeping I threw away the bottles and replaced them with clean sippy cups and when she woke up I gave her a sippy cup and didn't even mention the word bottle and when she would bring it up I said nope but heres your sippy she refused to drink for a day or two but she eventually got thirsty enough to use the sippy and so will your son just be strong be patient and remember it won't last long
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 7:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I heard about this problem when I had my first. The magic age is 9-11 months. For some reason, they don't associate themselves with the bottle until about 12 months and beyond, getting stronger with each passing month. I started the sippy cup at about 7 months and fully took the bottles away at 10 months and I had absolutely no problems with 3 kids!
    Anonymous

• I think one thing is to just tough it out... he won't really hurt himself. The instinct to protect yourself is still there. It is like getting your kid to sleep in their own bed... you can't give in half way through, otherwise you are only teaching them the you will torture them for no reason.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We took the bottle away and stopped formula at 10 months with no problem. We switched to the Gerber soft tip sippy cup that looks like a bottle. I know they sell it at Walmart and Walgreens they are a bit hard to find but I was so glad for them. I didnt like using the hard top sippy cups bc of what drs say about it affecting their teetch so these worked GREAT and she associated it as a bottle although it wasnt.
    stephsmom05

Answer by stephsmom05 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Cold turkey. When your child is asleep, remove all the bottles from the house (you don't have to throw them away; just keep them out of sight. Mine are in a plastic bag in the garage at the moment). Replace them with a variety of sippy cups. My kids love the Nuby cup with the straw.

Good luck!
    NavyWife1981

Answer by NavyWife1981 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Try introducing the sippy cup instead. Hide bottles and give only to him at night until he no longer needs it. My son stopped using the bottle at 1 yr. Good luck!
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2008