I need help getting my 10 yr old daughter out of my bed!!!!

My daughter is scared to death to sleep in her room...or any room that is...alone. She is 10 years old and could care less about her dad and I sleeping together. She has to sleep with one of us every night. We've had some deaths in our family over the past couple of years and sometimes I think that might be what is hindering her from sleeping in HER room. Her pediatrician prescribed a mild calming med to be taken at night. Well, it only helps a little bit. I miss being with my husband! I don't like the feeling of competing for time alone with him.

This is isn't all though...the other night she had spend the night company and she insisted on me sleeping in the room with them. She told me if I didn't that she would have to sleep in the bed with me. I gave in because she started crying and panicking. I'm sure the friend is real impressed that "mom of 5th grader" had to sleep on the floor!

mdsmes

Asked by mdsmes at 7:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe she needs more then medication... Time for her to see a psychologist/therapist I'd say!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yeah it sounds like she most def needs something more then meds, that's not normal 10 year old behavior, even after a few family deaths. If she were much younger I'd say slowly re-introduce her back into her own room by laying with her in there till she falls asleep, but at 10 she needs to be talking to a therapist, there's something more going on then just sleep issues.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You need to find the root of the problem before you can solve the issue. I suggest getting her to see a therapist.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• take her to a pediatrician recommended psychiatrist.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 11:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• She need therapy. This is beyond normal and beyond "calm down meds".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would definitely consult the doctor since she is already on medication. Also, maybe think of ways to make her more comfortable, lay in her bedroom until she falls asleep and reward her when she makes it the whole night. Best of luck to you.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 10:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• honey who is in charge here ? does she do anything else alone ? or do you follow her around all day ? PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN ! talk to her about her fears of sleeping alone , ask her specifically what can you do to ease her fears with in reason , and then do it and after that draw the line . ENOUGH IS ENOUGH .
    nanafor5

Answer by nanafor5 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011