do you believe in tough love when it comes to controlling your teens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• shake handyes..they have to be reminded from time to time who is boss. they need to know that parents deserve respect because we make a lot of sacrifices for them and often put their needs before our own.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It depends on what kind of controlling you are talking about. I let my teen and preteen make their own decisions, and in turn they take the consequences. I've never really had to practice tough love with them. They mess up they get grounded. I do not degrade them or treat them inhumane, and I think sometimes "tough love" can cross those boundaries. I agree with it when dealing with drugs (I'm not supporting your habit, so no you can't have that 20 to go out this weekend). ... IMHO every persons situation is different, I don't discipline my 4 children the same, their personalities doesn't warrant it. I guess I would have to say for my house and my children no we don't do tough love, I believe it could back fire and cause more damage with my kids than it could help.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• ~*YES*~... I believe in tough love with older children as long as it does not end up being abusive! I might fantasize about smacking my 15 year old's head, but it remains as only a hypothetical thought!!! However, I will take his videogames, cut the cable to his room if need be, take away his walkman or stereo... because last time I checked this is "our" home which means our rules... and if he can't follow them than I will gladly take away what we are not required by law to provide
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I believe in tough love but I don't believe in controlling my teen. He is learning to make his own decisions, choices and deal with consequences of his choices. I would much rather discuss things with my son than control his life. He has to learn to be responsible for himself and it's not something that happens overnight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have never tried to control my child.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yes I do
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When it's needed. Before then I believe in love, respect and guidance.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I believe that how your teen will respond will depend on how you raised him when he was little. Take time, have a vision, and don't just raise them by the seat of your pants...Always remember, you are the parent, and you have the right to take charge and have authority. Do what you can to control them until they are grown, it is your job as a parent. Be confident!
    raleyfamily

Answer by raleyfamily at 9:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2011