how to discipline a mouthy 12 year old

case0406

Asked by case0406 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I will never forget this.  I was 12 years old and smarted off to my grandma.  She slapped me right across the face.  Stunned the crap out of me but I never did it again.  I don't have teens so this is the best I can do.  I tried to help at least!  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• A smack across the lip, the sting alone will make him/her remember to whisper next time. Respect.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• And, if the smack in the mouth doesn't work, start taking things & privileges away.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• When I was younger, 12 wasn't too old to get a spanking. If you don't spank, or don't want to, take everything away one by one. When your child is sitting in their room staring at a plain white wall with nothing to do and no where to go, maybe they'll think twice before they start getting mouthy. Good Luck!
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 10:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I got the smack in the mouth as well as a teen, which just pissed me off more. Because of that I don't hit my boys in the mouth...what I found that works for my kids is simply not engaging in their talking back, and taking away what they love most - their freedom.
    If they get mouthy I tell them I'm not going to talk to them until they start talking to me like an adult, then I give them the two choices; you can either do what you're ask or you're not doing what you want. I walk away.
    If they pursue an argument say about grades or something stupid, I say you know what I'm done with this you obviously don't want to have an intelligent conversation with me - so you're on your own. Then I walk away and don't engage any longer until they stop the back talk.
    It works for us, but I'm not against trying the stunning pop in the mouth.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My son started mouthing off at 9 really bad. He has quick comebacks and has made me so angry had to walk in another room yet not one curse word just being rude. So, i tried grounding, taking away things, and spanking. Seemed to make him worse at that time. Finally I just flat out told him one day, every time you speak to me like a dog, I will do the same to you. I went into explanation in how he made me feel and that boy cried like a baby. Don't get me wrong, he's 11 now and still gets his attitude but when out of hand, I let him know how it makes me feel and if he wants to act like a baby, I will treat him like one. I am not big on embarassment but he knows I will march him into middle school holding his hand to each class(that is my favorite one ) and the look on his face of OMG she is serious is enough for me to know he got the point. Good luck
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 10:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• oooh this hard to do but works ! turn it around on them ..... when they ask for something tell them i can respond to you in a decent respectful way or I can act just like you . in which case you will get nothing , and I mean nothing . no dinner . money . tv time . my son was QUICK to change his mouth around me and then i expanded it to include anything / anyone else he was mouthy around .It taught him if you want something you need to act decent to get it .
    nanafor5

Answer by nanafor5 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2011