Fun healthy dinners for 2-3 year olds?

My daughter is a little stinker and her tastes and interest in food changes from day to day. I'm thinking that if I have her help me make something fun that she would be more interested in eating it. Thanks in advance.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• gosh i would love to know some too for my picky eater so ill bump u
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 8:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• im with the last comment...i have a 8 year old son that hates everything! but my 4 year old daughter will eat anything!
    kdm077

Answer by kdm077 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• get your kid involved NOW in their food. When I fed my twins as babies, I would sing little made up songs about what the food they were eating would do for their bodies. Now, as 5yr olds, they pick food from the Farmer's Market that they want to eat and they know what it does for them. My fave is my son singing how much he loves ketchup because it is made from tomatoes that have lycopene and that fights the cancer! They eat everything, including brussels sprouts, salad and spinach. You just have to make it fun. Also remember not to let it turn into a power struggle. Everyone has the right to not like something, but not everything, lol...I also make it a point to not have junk in the house. Tonight my kids had perogies, salad and veg soup for dinner....good luck
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Everything that I let DD help me with, she winds up eating large portions of it. When I make something without her help, it's like pulling teeth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• baking

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• For lunch, I have taken to making "monkey Platters" (and idea I got from a great blog...but I can't find the link just now...)
    Basically, you get a partitioned tray OR use a muffin tin with paper liners and fill each cup or section with something different.
    I play it up like "here is your MONKEY PLATTER!"
    I'll put fruit, nuts, crackers, cheese, whatever...sometimes I'll use it for fish sticks or nuggets and then give him a few sauces ...it can be really fun!

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'll put fruit, nuts, crackers, cheese, whatever.

We do that, too. When DS was a toddler, I'd give him choices between certain things (grapes or banana, that sort of thing). As he got older, he got more say. Now he comes in and asks if he can make it himself and gives me a list of what he wants. I get final approval on his choices, but he's learned to put together a balanced plate on his own.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My kids always ate what we ate. I never made kid food for them. They love salmon, all kinds of quiche, turkey, etc. They thought it was cool to eat grown-up food. At restaurants many times we would order them an adult dinner and split it between my two kids because they didn't like chicken fingers or burgers. They do like pasta. When my daughter was 2 she was sitting on my hubby's lap while we ate. I made sea bass in a honey soy marinade. When he was eating drinking his water, she grabbed his sea bass and shoved it in her mouth and said "more".
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I am not a fan of "kids foods".
    We use the three bite rule: after three bites, if you don't like dinner, you get whole grain toast with peanut butter and honey, with a kiwi or apple.

I do have a ton of recipes that are healthy, tasty, simple, family and budget friendly; send me a message if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Here's one they like to help with.
    Barbeque Cups
    1 lb. ground beef, pork or turkey
    1 bottle barbeque sauce
    2 cans refrigerator biscuits
    Shredded Cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef, drain. Return to pan and add sauce, heat through. Flatten each biscuit out and place in muffin tins, to form a cup. Spoon beef mixture into each cup. Cook about 10 minutes (check biscuit can for oven temperature, and reduce by 25 degrees). Remove from oven and add cheese. Return to oven for a couple more minutes, just to melt cheese.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2011