Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The father of my child who spent the first 4 months of her life in a mental hostiple becasue he stole a gun to shoot some one or him self wants cusidy of my baby girl! but i just want him to leave us alone... i'm afrid hes going to take me to court, but as of right now he has no rights since hes not on her birthcerticiat... what can i do to make sure he gets no rights? Im afrid hes going to hurt me:(

Im 18 years old with a 4 and a half month old baby, i work at a little pizza shop were unfortenly so dose her, me and my baby girl curently have an appartment with my boyfriend of 8 months who eventully wants to adopt melody! Melody's father has a pretty big crimanal recored, and me and many others including his own brother feel that he is to unstable to be aprat of her life, he is no longer recizing help and has stoped taking his pills making him extremly snappy... Also when we were in the hostiple the night i gave birth he would yell at the baby to stop crying!!!! It made me soo mad, he was eventually kicked out of the hostiple by my doctor because of his behavior! I'm afried they will give him some sort of cusitdy :( iv worked to hard to ket her be disappointed by him...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • go to court and get a restraining order on him and let the judge know that he has been violent in the past, or call 211 and get number for free legal advice God Bless

    Answer by ISAIAHMOM632007 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

  • Knowing some of his past no judge in the world would give any custody, Maybe supervised visits that can be done at DHS or police station. I would gather all info on him I could. Public records , criminal,hospital, letters from your Dr and friends, have everything ready in case he tries to take you to court. good luck

    Answer by bunco at 1:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

  • First of all, get a restraining order if you are scared of him. Next, there is no way in heck any judge is going to give him custody with the background you say he has.

    Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

  • 1st off, yall being unmarried gives him no rights. he would have to be legitimized first and thats 2000 off the top. Then a court hearing would be scheduled and you could have his health records subpoenad as well as friends and family. No judge would give him time alone with a baby when he tried to kill someone. Best of luck!

    Answer by TBKSuperMama at 11:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

  • I do know for sure he has to take you to court for paternaty first. Don't worry yourself about this. His record would make him lose!! If he does try to take you to court you are eligable for either free or discounted legal help. But, only if he does this. Don't try to take him to court!! Leave the situation be and most likely it will just go away.

    Answer by Teritryme at 12:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

  • You shouldn't have much of a problem keeping your baby girl. First thing, though, document everything he says, does, and every phone call. Get a date book so you can record times and dates of everything. Go back in the past and document everything you can remember. Also, get an attorney and provide your attorney with the documentation. You should be eligable for legal aid. He will have to prove paternity, and that bill will be on him. If he is as disturbed as you say he is, there shouldn't be a battle at all. As Teritryme said, only IF he takes it further should you really worry. In the meantime, just provide a loving home for Melody.

    Answer by drowninginboys at 3:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.