Part 2 SAHM question,,,, Do you send you toddler to school year round?

And no it's not my business but I'm a SAHM and will be sending my DD to school soon. And it amazes me that their child has been going to school for almost 2 years now and doesn't know her colors, still shaky on the numbers and alphabet. I try not to compare since each child is different but darn what is are they being taught? For her to go all the time and not know more surprises me. Especially when she doesn't get a summer break,,,, 5 days a week, year round. I'm feeling sorry for her even though it does give her time to play with other kids. But if by sending my DD to school she's not learning anything, what's the point of pre-k? I can keep teaching her myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My eldest son was in daycare care, than preschool/daycare, and than onto school while I was in college...

I am a SAHM, and part of why we made this as a personal choice is to actually raise our children, allow them to be kids while they are still young, and my son went from us straight into kindergarten this past year. I catch hell from his teacher?!?! He is at or ahead of his classmates and she litterally gives me attitude because he never went to preschool??? Don't get it but I didn't have children to pass them onto others to raise for us... and I'm not sure if she was pushing at me concerning our 3 year old to have preschool do her job or job security? I am confident in my own abilities to teach my kids, and would homeschool them (I did my oldest for some time) if I didn't have to respect my husband's view about socialization? I can see his point, respect it, but tired of dealing with teachers (bad teachers not all)
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Is it daycare or preschool. Daycare does not necessarily teach. While preschool is to prepare the preschooler for school by learing basics such as colors, sounds, numbers, letters, socialization, following directions.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• half and half. The first half of the day is preschool and the second half it's daycare.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My son is not going to school until kindergarten. I doubt I'll even send him to preschool. Instead, I'll work with him at home. I never went to preschool and was ahead of the other kids when I started kindergarten. Mostly though, I just want to keep him at home with me as long as possible. I'm dreading the day he starts school. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I always just sent my kids 3 days to JUST a preschool and they learned all needed between that and me teaching them too.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• my daughter did start at child day care at 6mths and now 3yrs old she goings to a catholic school thats offers a 3yr and then pre k...its the normal school year than summer camp for the summer at the same school to keep her going in struture..but my problem is her very bad behavior to the children in her class and now teachers......
    desperate07

Answer by desperate07 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2011