is 103 fever high for a 6 year old?

My poor guy has a bad cough and a fever of 103. At what point do you worry? I am giving him some ibuprofen and lots of fluids. He is really sleepy today and wont eat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is not too bad, but I would take him to the dr in the morning if is still running a fever when he gets up.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• As long as he is drinking I would not worry about him not eating today. If his fever is not coming down with the medication then I would call the doctor tomorrow.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would go ahead to the hospital if it were me...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's not too high, 105 is when you start to worry. If he's drinking and sleeping then let him rest and call the Dr in the morning. Sleeping is his bodies way of fighting the infection/fever, and dehydration is a concern with fever's but he's taking fluids so you're fine. Don't worry about eating children can go days without food when sick and be fine. Hope he feels better!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Keep given him his medicine and fluids and let him sleep. 103 is high but he will be fine. Cool wash clothes on the head work, and make sure the medicine is a fever and pain reliever. For the cough, do you have a humidifier to put in his room? Tommrow turn your shower on to scalding hot shut the door and let him breathe in the steam, dont put him in the water lol just let him breathe in the steam (i like to clarify just in case). Also some luke warm decaf tea with lemon. And dont force the foods he will eat when he is ready. If he becomes confused and/or a temperature that will not go down i suggest you see his ped. Good luck! Poor little guy!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 10:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• What is his temp on a normal basis?  101 is high for my oldest, his normal temp is lower than average. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• And at 105 they can seize out. But again, that is based on normal temps.

MrsHouston47302

• i would take him to the ER thats to high for anyone, If it gets to high he can have seizures.
    Mrs.Ferri

Answer by Mrs.Ferri at 10:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would give him some Tylenol and a lukewarm bath. I hope his fever goes down and he starts to feel better. Call the dr in the morning if he still doesn't feel good.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

If it helps this is from webMD... Fevers are not as dangerous or scary as most make them out to be

"Most healthy children and adults can tolerate a fever as high as 103F to 104F for short periods of time without problems. Children tend to have higher fevers than adults."
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2011