What is wrong with my kid?

First let me say I will be taking him to the doctor in the morning. That isn't a question but I have never seen this before and don't know what it is. He started yesterday complaining he had a headache so I gave him motrin. he was still complaining and started with my neck hurts ... I look and only on one side below the ear little back from the jaw where the lymph nodes are it is really swollen... I mean it is out there obviously swollen. Then tonight on his arms he has hives ..no place else just the elbow area down to his pinky. I asked him to list everything he ate in the last 24 hours and it is all stuff he eats all the time. No I haven't changed any laundry stuff either.

babyfat5

Asked by babyfat5 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Health

• Have him lay on his back flat, like on the floor. tell him to relax. Lift his head with your hand, like chin to chest type movement. If his legs come up automatically with the tilt of his head you need to get him to the ER, that would be Meningitis. Although, it sounds like it could possibly a funky virus and the rash just happened to appear at the same time, it may not have anything to do with the headache ect....When a child complains of a headache that won't go away with meds and a really stiff neck it should alert you to the possibility of Meningitis. Keep an eye on him. If he starts running a fever with it then you might want to take him on tonight.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• i would take him to the ER before it gets worse i dont think you should wait
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 8:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• He has had the meningitis vax already all of the shots for it. I don't think it covers all forms of it so I just did what you said his legs didn't move. He only said oww your hurting my head. He also said something about his ear hurting.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• He has been up and moving around too and even a little while ago smacked his sister so he isn't that bad off. When he is really sick he just lays there and sleeps doesn't move around a lot. with him it kinda hard to tell when he is really in pain or when he is just being overly dramatic. This is a kid who will cry over a small scratch for hours like he needs some stitches or something when he just needs a bandaid. Makes it hard sometimes for me to take him seriously but he has some clear cut signs of being sick this time no fever or it is masked by the motrin not sure. He is 11 so he can tell me what he is feeling. which is the headache, little bit of a sore throat, now his ear is bugging him and itchy with the arms but the generic benadryl has kicked in and the bumps are going down so he isnt that itchy.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Okay, sounds like possibly swollen lymph's, drainage which is causing the sore throat and ear infection. That time of year for viruses and bacteria infections to go around. All I know is if he starts to run a temp, his headache gets worse, his neck pain gets worse then I would think about taking him into ER. More than likely it's nothing but a virus of some sort, maybe Strep with an ear infection. Seems like he's still being his ornery self. LOL Hope he feels better soon!!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Thanks Southerncharmes I don't see any sign of strep I can usually tell that one right off the bat. He is sleeping now. I will let you know what it turns out to be when we get back from the dr.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Official dx is peritonsillar abscess. They are trying first to get rid of it by a high dose of antibiotics and steroids (they started him in the office with a shot) they will recheck him on Wed. and go from there but he will be out of school till Thurs bare min. His wbc wasn't too high today so there is a chance this will work if it doesn't he had to have it drained.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thanks for the update! I hope he feels better soon!!!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008