Eyes and horns on my sons walls...

This is what my 5 yr old son thinks he sees.He has wood paneled walls in his bedroom.He pointed to 2 of the wood knots beside his bed tonight and says "eyes going to get you tonight".He is autistic and i can't just explain to him that it's not real.All he understands is what he sees and it's real to him.I ended up putting stickers over the 2 spots beside his bed.That seemed to help for now.Any advice on how i can get him to understand that those aren't eyes and horns?

FreeFall

Asked by FreeFall at 10:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• difficult. Have him look at them during the daytime, when they will look more normal. You can also show him somethign familiar that looks weird in the dark, but I don´t know if that would make him scared of that object!.... Perhaps giving him a flashlight might help?? One thing I saw the other day, a store called the Plushie Factorie was selling cloth monsters...they´re good monsters, to keep the bad monsters away. perhaps you could do something like that.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 10:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Well my son had same problem and i did the same thing with stickers. I let him make a happy monster out of it with stickers. Not sure what to suggest but flashlight was a great idea!!!!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If you're up for a home improvement project, you can cover the wood paneling. This is what we did in our living room.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/interiors/paneling/conceal.htm
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I teach my little ones to call on JESUS when they're afraid or see monsters.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You can also paint over the paneling.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I just let our kiddo sleep in our floor when he gets nervous.

Never delt with autism but my normal 4 yr old has a hard time differientiating between reality and his imagination sometimes.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2011