100% juice

I know that fruit juice (even 100%) is still way worse than fresh fruit but why? And if there's no added sugar in the juice then why is it more sugary than fresh fruit? I'm just confused lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As fruit juice sits, it looses some of it vitamin amount after 15 minutes, then more every minute after. They have to cook fruit juice (pasterurize) commercial fruit juice, which makes it loose more good-for-you things. Then, it has to have preservatives. In no sugar added juice, there is no more dugar than fresh. Fruit juice is high in sugar any way fresh or not and should be given in moderation and cut with water. I ahve a jack lalane power juicer and I LOVE it. I have deffinatly got my moneys worth out of it. It was $100 and worth every penny.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Also when you buy juice that has no pulp (anything on the self at the store) it has lost all of it's fiber.
    Anonymous

• juice just isn't necessary at all.
    a lot of health professionals are saying now that it's just as bad as soda because of all the sugar and additives.

having said that, of course my daughter drinks juice. she's almost 3 and we still water it down by half. i even drink my juice watered down, i think it tastes better that way.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Fresh fruit juice is not bad for you, heatherama, it's just like eating fruit. Yes, fruit has alot on natural sugars in it, but that doesn't make it unhealthy. But I agree with cutting it by half, I cut my own juice my half as well.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i didn't say it was bad for you, i said it's just as bad as soda.
    i know some moms think that it's a healthy alternative to soft drinks but it really isn't.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Fresh fruit juice cut with water IS a healthy alternative. Soda has artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, added sugars (as much as 10 TBS per soda can!) and artificial sweeteners. In no way is that the same as fresh fruit. With all natural ingredients and all natural sugars, freash fruit juice is a healthy alternative to soda.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2008