anyone know what having AKC papers on your do is for?

He is a lab. besides breeding what are those for? does one get paid to have a male do to breed? how does this all work?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 10:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• that shoould say DOG~!
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yes, there are people who will pay for a male dog for stud services. Normally it'll be a dog with championship bloodlines. I have AKC papers for my rottie and it honestly has done nothing for me, I never bred her.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Ok, breeding ethics are usually the female gets to keep her puppies... if they use your male you are supposed to get "pick of the litter" (one puppy)... My mom was a Vet. when I was growing up and did some breeding... and those who are respectable breeders tend to be a crowd of their own... hahaha

GL, and only thing Papers are good for is if you have to re-home it or breed it... otherwise it is just bragging rights to others?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My husband bought his dog with papers from a breeder because he thought the "champion bloodline" was cool.  He also bought her with the intention of breeding her with a good friend of ours.  Instead, we bought him out on the puppies and kept them all, lol.  He couldn't bare to sell them.  He was so worried someone would use them in dog fights.  We ended up distributing them among family and friends.  He had her fixed and therefore, the papers became useless, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• The AKC credential is just the start if you want to breed a dog. The way to make a reputation for the kennel and the dog is to have the dog excel at hunting trials or rate high in the dog shows. It is all very time consuming and expensive. You really have to love the breed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• we went with stud service for our female and just payed them for there service no pick of the litter..ack papers are also if u want to show ur dog ina dog show..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2011