Um...what are your thoughts on the Groupon commercial?

I'm not sure whether to put this here or somewhere like entertainment, but I'm choosing to put it here since it's related to Tibet/Buddhism.

Here's a link that has the video if you didn't see it.

Groupon Tibet Super Bowl Commercial

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I wish they'd mentioned that in the ad. I was watching for something like that, but if they had any fine print, it went by too quick to see.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I thought it was clever - an obvious parody of the actors/actresses who jump on whatever cause because they think it's cool. (I'm a Buddhist, btw.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• That one and the whale one, I get what they were going for, but I think it came off a little too sarcastic. With the whale one and Cuba Gooding Jr, I was kind of wtf? But then when they got to Tim Robbins, I had to wonder if the way they sold him on it was suggesting the serious part would be longer than the sales pitch part.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• At first view of these commercials, without having the benefit of reading their "mission statement", I was disturbed by the ads. It seemed that they were exploiting serious issues to sell coupons. Understanding that they are poking fun at themselves, and at American greed, I get it. But it was an awful lot of work to "get it".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It actually took my a few seconds (forgive me I'm a bit slow sometimes) to get it. That link was the first time I saw it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I thought the one with Elizabeth Hurley and the brazilian forests was funnier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z206ipPhuFQ

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I also practice Buddhism. I actually had mixed feelings about it, because I wasn't expecting them to go there the way it started. LOL I was curious what others thought when I started reading that a lot of people were offended by it. Most Buddhists aren't easily offended, and so far it seems that a lot of non-Buddhist people are offended on their behalf. I did think it was a little lame, but if it draws attention to Tibet for whatever reason that's fine with me. Maybe someone would look into because they're offended by it. I did laugh though.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I didn't even see the whale one yet. I'll have to look that one up later. We started out watching parts of the game, and then after my son had his bath and went to bed we decided to watch Smallville on the DVR instead.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Apparently they are matching donations for a Tibet Fund

Groupon The Tibet Fund
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I know! I think it would have been more effective if they had it at the end of each commercial. I just watched the whale one, so now I get what they were trying to do, but based on most of the comments I'm seeing everywhere I don't think people are getting it. LOL

Here's another page where they were talking about why they decided to do ads this year and what direction they were going with it. An effective ad wouldn't need this much explanation. I hope they add this info to future airings of the commercials.

Groupon Super Bowl Ads
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2011