Dog acting strange

I have an 8 year old terrier mix. Normally, he will just lay by you or on his pillow while we are watching t.v. Well, today, he has been pacing from room to room (not like him). He has food and fresh water. If we get up to go in another room he follows us and looks like he wants something. Oh and he's been outside a million times already and has peed and pooped. Does this sound like anything anyone else has experienced with their dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• As dogs get older they can experience a lot of new "symptoms" (for lack of a better word). Paranoia can set in, which can be cause for him pacing and following you around. He could be restless as his older body starts to age. He could also not be feeling well today from a simple virus or cold. There are a number of reasons that could cause a dog to change behavior, especially the older they get. If the behavior continues then bring it up with his vet. There might be some simple tests they can do to see if he's doing okay health wise.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would just take him on walks more often. Maybe think about getting him a playmate?
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 11:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• mabe he seen a mouse or something.and follows u to protect u..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He might need to see a vet. If he's pacing, it could be that he is in pain or that he isn't feeling well.

DO NOT get him a playmate, that is the last thing you, or he, needs.

AND, if he had seen a mouse, he would have killed it. That is what terriers are bred to do.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• is there a storm on its way animals act weird when its about to storm
    termit2001

Answer by termit2001 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My dog, lab/golden retriever mix, is 7 years old and started doing that. A friend told me that sounded like something was troubling him. I havent' had him but for 4 months so I started paying him more attention and it helped. I assumed he didn't want as much as my liitle dog because he didn't come and get it but he did. After I started loving on him more and more, he calmed down, and now comes to me to get his love. But it could be anything troubling your dog, maybe a change, new dog in neigherhood barking a lot.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 10:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would see a vet and rule out any health issues. At his age he is in his senior years and is prone to health issues. Dog's will mask pain well, but changes in behavior could be an indicator. Pacing, panting and generally restlessness are key indicators. I would definately go to the vet right away. Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011