help potty training 2 1/2 year old

My son will be three in feb. and he is not potty trained. I have tryed taking him with me. He will sit on the potty but will not stay long to do what needs to be done. I have try just putting underwear on him. But I am being told by my in-laws that he should have been potty trained by now. But on the other my family say he will potty train when he is ready. My nephew was 3 1/2 years old when he potty train. But I feel bad when my son is outside playing with kids his age that are potty trained and i have to take him inside and change his pull-up. What should i do? Help!!!!

momgriff

Asked by momgriff at 8:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• everyone was on my butt too about potty training my 2 yr old, i said when she gets ready she will, she always wanted to wear diapers cause she was used to it i suppose, but one day i got tired of diapers and put on panties, she immediatly potty trained herself and doesnt even pee in the bed at night, shell be 3 in december, she was potty trained about 3 months ago. i think theyll do it when theyre ready, u just have to keep asking them if they have to use the bathroom over and over again. hope i help.
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It is true when they are ready they will do it. Have you tried rewarding him w/ something when he does use the potty?
    sexymama4u

Answer by sexymama4u at 11:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my son goes in spurts. One day he tells me he has to go and the next day nothing at all. Now he screams his head off if I sit him on the potty. Oh what to do?
    momagain

Answer by momagain at 11:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• they will when they are ready. i pushed the issue with my son and it was frustrating. But he still was potty trained by 3. I didn't stress it at all with my daughter. She is 3 1/2 now and i think she has been potty trianed since 2. Still both pretty early but the experience was just different when i changed my thinking. Just try to rember its not about you or anyone else in your family. What they think never, and should never matter on issues like this. Its all about your child and what they are ready for. GOOD LUCK!
    SparklesOfAmber

Answer by SparklesOfAmber at 9:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• don't let it get you down remember that your little guy has his own way of doing things it will come trust me I understand my 5 year old potty trained at 2 and then I thought it would be easy for my now 3 yr old to potty train we have just integrated to wearing regular underwear durring the day and pull ups at night and he truned 3 in june just remember to be patient it will come the more you stress about it the more he will to keep your chin up
    baseballmom4321

Answer by baseballmom4321 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My son is 3 1/2 and not potty trained. Every kid is different and they will let you know when they are ready. What I am doing with my son is putting underwear on him and taking him potty every 20 minutes. We got an egg timer so we don't forget to take him. It has taken this long for him to be ready for potty training though. Your son will be ready in his own time.
    GILMOREFAN2001

Answer by GILMOREFAN2001 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I am feeling your pain and torn, Keanu turned 3 in august, he understands when he has to go, tells me when he goes in his pull up but only goes on the potty once in a blue moon, I am torn because as a early childhood education teacher I have helped potty train numerous children including my first three and cannot seem to get anywhere with this hard headed 3 yr old of mine. He wants to go to school but he cannot go to preschool in pull ups he has to be potty trained, he told me he will go potty at school, I keep trying to remind him he has to go potty at home first. It is getting a little expensive buying diapers for my 11 month old and pull ups for the 3 yr old.
    mills200103

Answer by mills200103 at 5:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2008