Contractions

I am 35weeks pregnant, and I am 1 cm dilated and 40% effaced. Does this mean I had to have a contraction to dilate? Well, I mean, to dilate and efface don't you have to contract or don't you? I am wondering because I don't kow what they feel like or bh contractions. My stomach hurts in different ways all the time so I don't know what it feels like or when I would have had a contraction.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have any contractions that I felt to dilate to 2. Trust me... you think you don't know now, but when it happens you will know. Unless you have a super super high pain tolerance. I have met one person in my life that didn't realize she was in labor. I didn't think I would know, and granted, it took me about 2 hours to figure it out, you kinda figure it out.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Funny story. With my second, I always was feeling achy and one night I was so uncomfortable and was feeling pains in my stomach, but I just blew it off as regular since I had them before and nothing, so I went to bed. 4 am I woke up in so much pain, I walked around and they were getting worse. It feels like menstrual cramps, but it goes away for a little while and it's like a wave, not so bad to painful.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 9:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008