have you ever seen a real case of dog mange?

i'm being told my dog has food allergies, but i am beginning to think she has mange. how did you treat it?

JumpingHoops

Asked by JumpingHoops at 8:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pets

• Don't you have to get some sort of special shampoo from the vet? IDK for sure.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My dog had it 3 different times, ugh! You need to take your dog to the vet if your suspecting that mange is the culprit. They will scrape the skin in the bald areas and run it under the microscope while you're there. That will determine which kind of mange the dog has. Our dog had to get a bath from the vet with a medicated shampoo once every 2 weeks for 6 weeks...so 3 times. I think it ran about $30 a bath. But it helped TREMENDOUSLY!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We still weren't able to figure out HOW our dog was getting it. The kind she had was a kind that was supposed to be contageous, meaning she had prob gotten it from another dog, but at the time we didn't have any other dogs and she didn't associate with other dogs. I wonder if it was in the yard where we lived...once we moved she never had it again?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• she is losing hair on her elbows and licks them all day but she has hair everywhere else and doesn't itch anywhere else either, it is kind of strange being it is just on her elbows.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 9:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You will like this then
    http://leerburg.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=166679
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ask the vet if it is an allergy ,for some Gen One spray. It is a topical and can be sprayed on her elbos to help the itching and irritation. This is great stuff and can be used 4x daily for 7 days . One of our dogs had itchy feet from the grass and this cured it. But need to figure out what it is that bothers her elboes. Maybe carpeting, or the grass. If it was the food it would show up like hot spots all over her body. Benydril helps itching to and can be given. But ck your dog out to make sure if it is truley allergies or mange. A vet can tell, they have a special light that they use to see it.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• it's my vet that keeps telling me it's a food allergy. i dont believe her. if it was food allergies she would be hairless and itching all over. thank you ladies for some great info today, it has helped out alot!
    Lexies Mommy-great website thank you so very much!
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 7:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I am familiar with mange. My grandmother had 12 to 17 dogs at any given time when I was growing up. Mange starts on the back down by the tail and works it way up. Causing a dogs back to to go bald then works it's way down it sides and legs. What does your dog sleep on? Such as a blanket. It could be the material she is allergic to.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 12:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• When our dog had mange we used a special shampoo from the vets. But our horses got it every spring and they just got over it by themselves. It usually took a couple weeks.
    bastianmami

Answer by bastianmami at 2:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Try changing your dog food. This happened to our dog American Bulldog. I had her on Nutro Max food. She was losing hair and weight. After spending $300-$400 at the vets. We got in touch with the breeder. He told us to stop the food. I checked the internet and was shocked to see all the complaints. I switched dog food and over the months my dog became back to normal...thank God! Be careful of what dog food you are using. If switching dog food place the old food in with the new, eventually over a few days completely taking out all of the old food.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2008