She won't swallow...

My oldest dd is 2, she's about to turn three. Lately she has a habit of refusing to swallow some foods. Usually vegetables, or things she is not very fond of. She will take bites of it, but then she swishes it around in her mouth, pretending to chew, but never swallows. How can I get her to stop this??

jluvskija

Asked by jluvskija at 8:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ha ha - sorry I find it funny, though I am sure it's frustrating!! She is doing this for 2 reasons: #1.) Because she CAN!! You cannot control her swallowing but she can and she knows it, which brings me to #2.) ATTENTION! She is getting a rile out of you and again she knows it and loves it. Ignore her, don't bring ANY attention to it and it will stop.

One thing I never ever force on my kids or fight about is food. I give them options: peas or carrots; etc but then the choice is theirs.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It is sooo frustrating!! Thanks for the advice, I will try to ignore it when she does this!!
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 9:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008