My 7 month old has a huge birthmark on his lower back. They are planning to use tissue expanders to rid of it. Has anyone ever had to deal with their baby going through surgery?

MamaBrittany14

Asked by MamaBrittany14 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• at 6 months my now almost 4 year old had to have surgury to separate the bones of her skull. She was born with them fused together. She handled it great. Babies are troopers. I'de say don't worry but I know you will. Good luck
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 12:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My son also has huge birthmarks on his lower back and butt. The doctors told us they will go away on their own by 4-5 years of age.

If there is a chance they will go away, I'd wait it out, rather than go with surgery...or at least get a second opinion beforehand:)
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Other than cosmetic what would the point of this surgery be? (Seriously curious) I would just wait it out and see if he outgrows it or something.
    Jessimica

Answer by Jessimica at 1:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• "Other than cosmetic what would the point of this surgery be? (Seriously curious) I would just wait it out and see if he outgrows it or something."

I wonder about this as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• it depends on the birth mark i know that if it is a strawberry and on a vein that the skin is so thin a small touch in that area can cause someone to bleed to death. both my husband and i had them when we were babies he had his removed and new skin put in. i did not just because it wasnt on a vein.

my now 6 year old had 6 surgerys by the age of 1 month. he had to have his testicals un twisted and attached right. he had 2 ives put in his legs but they didnt work so then he had to have and IV put directly into his heart so we could give him medicine all day long
    sagegreen

Answer by sagegreen at 6:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2008