my son will not eat meat!!!What should i give him in his diet to keep him healthy?

sarahspitz

Asked by sarahspitz at 8:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the same problem with my daughter. she wouldnt eat and it was hard on me bc I didnt think she was getting her nutrition. my dr said as long as im giving her vitamins and she was drinking milk/water it was ok. i mean its not like she didnt eat at all but some days she wouldnt eat. she is sitll picky and just eats pastina for the most part - she just turned 3.
    stephsmom05

Answer by stephsmom05 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Try beans or cheese. Both are great sources of protein. I would also make sure that your child is getting enough iron. I know that most cereals have a lot of iron in them (like Chex and Mini wheats and cheerios). Also, I know this is going to be an unpopular idea, but peanut butter is a good source of protein as well. If your family has a history of allergies, it's not a good idea, but I started giving it to my daughter when she was about 18 months old. Her brother has had it already and he's just 15 months now.
    NavyWife1981

Answer by NavyWife1981 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Go to La Leche League. they have very detailed advice for foods for babies, AND all kinds of other wonderful advice. ... For myself, I understood how and why it was important to delay meat and eggs until after the child turns 3. That was 2 decades ago, and lately doctors have begun to learn about the effects of meat and egg fats on hormone balance and on creating inflammation. So that is a new angle which supports waiting until certain growth milestones have been reached before burdening the child's liver with meat or egg. ... I must add that I had good results - for one thing my children were very rarely sick ... Oh, and for healthier children, go for the Happy Baby food grinder so your child is eating fresh-cooked food and not lifeless canned food.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Sounds like your child still has a healthy sense of what is good for him. Congratulations, mama!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Peanut butter is a great source of protein, but you run the risk of your baby being allergic to them. So i would talk to your doctor about that one. But other nuts such as walnuts and almonds are good also. And eggs and beans are also in the protein catagory.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Beans are good! :) Baby doesn't need meat. It isn't uncommon for kids to dislike meat, either. I taught preschool for 6 years and had LOTS of 3 year olds who weren't real into meat. My LO doesn't eat it much either. I just fill him up on cheeses, beans, etc! :)
    maxandrubysmama

Answer by maxandrubysmama at 10:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• beans. all colors. broccoli, cheese, soy, flax, etc. NUTS NUTS NUTS
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2008