Would you be mad if you didn't get a birthday present?

My SO and I have have been dating for 5 months. He is always taking me out and cooking for me and things like that. We spend a lot of time together and get along great. My birthday was last weekend and he didn't get me a gift. We just went out to dinner like we usually do, nothing really "special". I did get a card. I don't think I'm spoiled or anything, but I am disappointed that he didn't get me flowers or something else. And I feel strange when my girlfriends ask me 'what did he get you' and there's nothing to tell. Should I be mad, or just get over it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• He sounds like a great guy! He did remember. You got dinner and a card. Remember sweetie, he's only been there 5 months. If you were engaged...I would expect some flowers maybe. But dating...I think he did a nice job. Focus on his great attributes. When someone asks...tell them what a lovely dinner you had and how special he treated you. Tell them how he treats you like it's your birthday everyday. They'll be more jealous over that than any trinket he could have bought! Don't make a big deal about it. If you're married next year...I'd tell him what you would like. A cake and flowers maybe. If you wind up together...you'll make your own traditions unique to yourselves. By then...dinner out and a card might seem like a dream! LOL!

So...where'd he take you for dinner? Just kidding!
    foxyloxy

Answer by foxyloxy at 9:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would be pissed off about it. I did'nt get anything last year and I told him about it, I'll be expecting something this year. Your SO should care enough to make it a special day.
    samantha_dawn

Answer by samantha_dawn at 9:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I don't know how much good being pissed will do either one of you. I think maybe you should talk about it and tell him you were slightly disappointed that you didn't get a gift. He probably didn't think about it. Have you been together long enough for you to celebrate HIS birthday? If so, did you get HIM a gift? If so, I would bring that up to him.
    NavyWife1981

Answer by NavyWife1981 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Geez, he could've gotten you at least a pair of $5 earings. Yes, you should be a bit pissed.
    gnat-elle

Answer by gnat-elle at 9:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Nope. We dont celebrate birthdays, so I wouldnt be mad.
    Anonymous

• I am thrilled that my SO remembers mine. I'm not into material gifts and neither is he. We give each other attention and sex on birthdays. I can't think of anything better than that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• i just gotta add that I always love ADMCKENZIE'S answers!
    samantha_dawn

Answer by samantha_dawn at 11:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• no i would have been good with the card if you guys always go out then the card was your gift
    elle2hot4u

Answer by elle2hot4u at 11:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2008