Speaking of those commercials...

I had to laugh when the new ad for Pirates of the Carribean came on, and my immediate thought was the ladies of the RD section...followed by the thought that it was an odd coincidence - they refused to accept any religious ads, but still kept one that keeps the religious section together.

Do you think they SHOULD accept those commercials, provided they are not graphic?  This year, it seemed pretty harmless.  Or is it a one rule to rule them all situation?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Sorry NP... I'm still laughing so hard from 'John 3:16... What is that? I don't know, I've seen it before. I'll look it up'.... I just can't stop. Laughing. Oh my Gods. lol I've yet to meet a single American who does not know what that scripture states, regardless of religious background.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Would I have been offended? No. Not any more so than I am when I watch a McDonalds commercial claiming that their product is food.

It's been long since known that Fox doesn't accept religious advertisements. Whether overtly obnoxious or not. Regardless of the associated religion, if the content is in any way attempting to promote said beliefs, practices, or present it as the social norm it should be prohibited.

I'm honestly less than amused by the tactic employed to receive media attention "Look at me! Look at me! I was discriminated against!".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I can understand why they have the policy, but I do appreciate good humor, even religious humor. In fact, humor actually plays a big role in some forms of Buddhism, and many Buddhists appreciate good humor especially self-deprecating and absurd humor.

I know from my religion and humor posts a while back that some have a similar perspective on religious humor and others are more easily offended. If they have this general rule, I guess they don't have to evaluate or guess how offensive any one commercial would be for millions of people watching.

@Obby--I actually belly laughed when I read your McDonald's comment!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would not be offended, but I can see why they did not allow it. This one is not offensive, but the next one very well could be. It could turn into the billboard wars quickly.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think they would have to refuse that ad (the John 3:16 one) because to air that would be to open the gates to other ads from other faiths. If they refused to, say, show an ad about a Muslim (or any other non-Christian) article of faith, they would open the door to discrimination lawsuits. But if they were to accept ads from any faith, they would anger the Christian Right, who would most likely boycott the network and very vocally call for other companies to withdraw their advertising from the network, too. Fox is making a wise business decision to nip it before it becomes an issue. This little thing will blow over faster, because it follows an already stated policy, than would a full-blown lawsuit or boycott if they bent their rules for the John 3:16 ad.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I missed the John 3:16 part- how does that play in- was there an ad with John 3:16 in it- I must have been getting more nachos at that time-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't watch the Stupid Bowl...and I hate commercials in general so here's...

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• How was the Pirates ad considered religious? or keeping the religious section together?
    The Jon 3:16 ad was tastefully done. As it isn't my religion I've never even cared to look it up and see what it means. Now that I have I am a bit curious as to why it is seen at sporting events when it has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on there.

elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 8:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• eliza- I fail to see how you've missed the correlation since apparently we here in the US all live in a "christian nation".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Wait what did i miss about the super bowl commercials
    Emilypit

Answer by Emilypit at 1:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011