Severe blockage, GI problems, when to go to ER?

I went into the ER yesterday because I had very sharp shooting pains in my abdomen. I had been constipated and uncomfortable for about 3 days already but I could hardly sleep from this sudden pain yesterday. At the er they thought it was appendicitis but from the CT scan they said I was severely blocked and had several ulcers but I have so much blockage it's hard to see anything. I had taken milk of magnesia the day before and I had been using the bathroom all day but the pain has only worsened. They sent me home and will have a dr follow up tomorrow but I am not sure what to do. I have to work tomorrow morning and I am in a lot of pain. It hurts to eat, take deep breathes. I don't want to go back to the ER just for constipation but I am in a lot of pain and kind of worried.

Any suggestions? Also, the drs have prescribed colace, an anti nausea pill, and pepcid. But my pain is strong and I am very uncomfortable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Health

• Did they suggest an enema or offer to disimpact you?? If you in so much pain that you can't function go back I'd say.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You need to see a gastroenterologist. I have had a lot of stomach problems. What they need to do is an endoscopy and colonoscopy just to find out exactly what is going on. It's not painful to have it done, they put you to sleep. That way, they can see for sure what is going on. In my opinion, if you are in as much pain as you say, they should have admitted you to order tests and find out once and for all what is going on. If you wind up going to the ER again, I would tell them that you want to find out because it has been going on so long. It's nothing to mess with.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• They didn't offer any of that but they were about to submit me into surgery to remove my appendix. They spoke to the surgeon general and he's the one who said to get me a CT scan first. The pain if very strong. I can't lay of my sides or walk or even stand for too long without it hurting even worse. It's in my upper abdomen. Can they do an emergency colonoscopy?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'd call your doc and get the on call physician and tell him what you've told us. Also, have you taken anything like Motrin for pain? Could be gastroenteritis which is difficult to diagnose and can seem like an appendicitis. You said you'd been going to the toilet, did you empty your bowels and now STILL have pain or are you still constipated?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I passed bowels all day Friday and Saturday. Saturday I was able to narrow the pain to my upper abdomen. I keep constipating. Well, I don't know if it is constipation cos I have been passing bowels even before the milk of magnesia. It just hurts to push. I assumed the pain was constipation cos I was bloated and uncomfortable but it's become sharp and shooting pain.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i know just what to do! i had a baby 9 weks ago and couldn't poop for two weeks! go get supositories, a peperoni pizza and a 6 pack of labatt. take 2 stools softeners and have at the beer and pizza. cleaned me out the next morning!! GL it sux i know, i felt like i was gonna explode another baby out my butt!!!! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 5:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Eat fiber dear,i know this all is confusing and hurtful,but bad constipation goes with the territory.Hang in there it will as they say pass.I now its not funny at all as i have been there too.If your pain is from the ulcers,you need to see somebody.If you are blocked as they said you will still have a bm but its not the blockage.You will know when this happens.It may sound gerouse but bowel movements will conform to the inside of you and if kept packing will make you sick.No one should go over 2 days without a movement.Hope this helps.Good Luck dear.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2011