Degree Name Change

If a woman earns a degree under her maiden name, does she have to change the degree to her married name? Seems like a lot of hassle! Especially since the college is now non-existent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Good Question. I never thought of that.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No. You can ask the college or university for a framing diploma under the married name, but I believe the records, transcripts, and actual degree will be in the maiden name. Of course, you wouldn't need to worry about any of this if you kept your maiden name. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As long as you have proof that you are who you are, it doesn't matter.  If the college still existed it would be nice of you to send them a name change notice and possibly an address change, But since they don't exist anymore, I wouldn't worry about it. I asked for an up-dated diploma and was told it would be signed by the current head of the department and the current head of the college. I decided to stick with the original document. The head of the department was also my advisor. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011