so...is there anyone else here who is going to scream if you see one more negative dipiction of childbirth on TV?

I'm just online now, looking at this banner for this new show on Lifetime called "one born every minute".
I haven't even seen it...but the add is pissing me off!

I had natural child birth...and I'm really tired of EVERY depiction showing the screaming, upset, suffering woman as the icon of birth!
Why not the focused, concentrating, singing, rocking in her hips, super-hero woman!? All are part an partial to birth, yet we scare women everywhere and feed this "you need meds" image :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Health

• ~*Smiles*~... to be perfectly honest, it doesn't bother me... those other people make me extremely grateful for the life I have, the amazing husband I am proud to call my best friend, and better expiriences. Sometimes seeing the grass isn't greener makes us a little more thankful for what we do have
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I actually wished I could of had natural childbirth but I had placenta previa with my pregancy and had to have my lil one by c-section. But I do feel that we live in a world where you have to take meds for everything and the side effect are worse then what you already have. I would love to see the calm natural birth, it would be nice to pretend that if I could of done it that way that this is how I would of been.
    bewitchedmom

Answer by bewitchedmom at 12:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Haha I know someone who works at the hospital that was filmed at. It's a funny show and it's real. My experience was sooooo much worse. Not everyone sings butterflies and poops rainbows while giving birth.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I watched it last week and thought it was pretty good. Childbirth is not pretty when it comes to labor but, that just a fact of life. But, the reward is so beautiful when u hold that precious little baby in your arms.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 12:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I had a really traumatic birth and I HAD to take extensive meds, so I can't relate to the image you're talking about being a natural birth, but I understand why the banner bothers you. I know it definitely doesn't help ease fears when all you see is scary images. Let me just say that watching the show Baby Story was the worst thing I did before giving birth!!
    littlefever

Answer by littlefever at 12:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• OP here: I know it's not ALWAYS positive or pleasant, certainly...but MOST of what we see, on sitcoms, dramas, movies etc...is "water broke...rush to hospital...give me morphine..." it's cliche and I think it perpetuates MORE of a false rep of what it HAS to be.
    (given, this show is a reality show right?...but they chose the add to be the grit-circle of fire face!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It doesn't bother me at all when childbirth is depicted as labor-- because it is. It is hard work that saps the energy of most of the women who undergo it, and it is truly a heroic effort, no matter how a woman goes through it. What does bother me are women who think one way is better than another. I think ALL women who undergo childbirth are terrific, and ALL ways of giving birth are just as equally heroic as any other. So to all the women who chose to give birth in their homes without anyone else there-- kudos to you. To all the women who chose to deliver at the hospital and get medication to ease their pain and a staff of healthcare professionals--kudos to you, too. And to any woman who implies that one way is better than another-- shame on you.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Well, those are the kind of births that I had.  I don't feel any less than then someone who didn't scream or cry.  I understand what you mean though.  And not all of it is "horrible", I don't like that it's portrayed like that.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• OMG That pisses me off soooo bad! Yes, shit happens and some women have really difficult births, but I would venture to say that not even near half of them are like that in reality (well, maybe they are in the US where most babies are born in hospitals, and most hospitals tend to push interventions that aren't always necessary). Mostly, though, I just feel sorry for the girls and women who see those things and think that that's what ALL childbirth is like and therefore become terrified of giving birth and don't believe their bodies could ever do it without all the complications. Not everyone can give birth totally naturally, and that has to be scary and difficult, but I really wish that there was more out there that showed that birth doesn't have to be terrifying and traumatic. Both sides need to be shown, instead of shows just trying to get high ratings by scaring people, IMO.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The show was funny and it didn't show anything bad or scary. Maybe some people don't like the idea of a c-section but that was the worst thing shown.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2011