do you use family words for private parts or the correct terms?

we use family words for as far back as I remember, poochie for girls, pubby for boys!

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 12:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dh says whimidilil, that what his mom called it, I like hot pocket for women. Didn't call them by their proper names bc, I'm a babyboomer and we weren't taught that way.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 12:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I've taught them the correct words but we use family words.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 12:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• we say the proper words. My daughters teacher just told her that those are bad word... I guess I don't really get it. My daughter is like the kid on Kindergarten Cop who says "Boys have a penis and girls have a vagina" LOL
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 12:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I always believed in using the closest to real terms as possible. We said "Penis" from the start.
    I have since found actual research that shows that children are LESS LIKELY to be molested OR MORE LIKELY TO TELL SOMEONE if they are, when they use the real name for body parts! I believe it has something to do with not making it "cute" and taking it seriously.

It's no joke, it's really worth teaching them the proper names.

Also...I read someone on here one mention that they worked in a daycare, and it took them a whole day to figure out that a little boy was hurt because he kept talking about his "monkey". :(
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 9:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• my dds call their vaginas an oochie...lol...they call the lil boys penis a bird...my 3 year old tells me all the time that my neighbors 3 year old is showing her his bird
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 12:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My dh says whimidilil, that what his mom called it, I like hot pocket for women
    ROTFLMAO!!!!
    shivasgirl

Comment by shivasgirl (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My Son has a penis - He knows it and He refers to it as such. An arm is an arm, why would you call it something else?

However, from Birth until He was one, We referred to His penis as a "hoohoo" - but no more nicknames since then. I'm not raising Him to think the proper terms are dirty or wrong, because they are not.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My MIL insists on calling my son's penis his "peeper" and my DH does it when his mom is around, why, I don't know. It annoys me and i've said as much but I guess it's their family's word and goes way back. Old habits die hard?
    I think when I tell my son he's touching his penis (he's 13mo) it makes my DH uncomfortable....Oh well, I'd rather have a kid who can accurately name his body parts than one who uses baby talk when he hits preschool.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 3:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• my kids know the proper words, we use a lot of family words for other things too, piggets for toes , tum'tum for thumb, topses for teeth, these words go back to my childhood.
    shivasgirl

Comment by shivasgirl (original poster) at 3:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Like MelissaCarole i have taught them the correct term but we use family words because they are still young. When they are a little older we will revert to using the other.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2011