what would you do?

my stepson lives with us full time after his mom lost him to the state. She went on to have another baby that she abandoned with his father at 18mos and left the state they lived in. He is 3 now and we have had my ss for 4yrs with no contact from her in 2yrs. The baby's father recently contacted us because after a year, she wants full custody of the kid. He wants us to maybe come to the state they live in to testify in March as she refused the visitation terms he offered and now says she wants full custody. I have never had the "pleasure" of meeting this girl, and really dont want to but I also dont want her to have the opportunity to abuse another child. My ss functions on a 3yr old level from her abuse and neglect. He is 7yrs old. Would you go? The father also wantsthe boy to have contact with my stepson as the boys get older since they are brothers, but my ss has memory issues (25% retention) and will probably not remember the brother and have to be "reintroduced" each time. I really dont have a problem with that as long as the mom is totally out of the pic. She isnt allowed contact with my ss now unless we ok it. BTW, this would be an 1800 mile trip for us. We have already given our lawyer up there the go ahead to share info with the other boy's lawyer. Opinions?

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 12:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• wow she definately shouldnt get hi back and regardless of his memory the brothers do have a right to know each other...i would stress your concerns with your lawyer and see what he says
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 12:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ugh, such a long journey but she shouldn't have access to either child. I'm so sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2011