How do I get my 16mo old to take a nap or go to sleep without screaming and crying??

She flips out as soon as I put her in her crib. I also need to quit the nite time nursing. We do have a routine of bath, books, prayers, then bed. I hate letting her cry it out but I do it and it's been 4 months and the screaming has gotten worse.

RyleesMama09

Asked by RyleesMama09 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start a routine of some sort. toddlers and babies love it when their days become predictable. Our routin with our 2 year old is to drop my older daughter off at school, eat lunch, read a book then go to sleep.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• nothing really its like a new puppy they are going to cry til they get use to it
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 1:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Maybe she doesn't like the crib. My DS hates his crib. Consequently, he sleeps with us, and we have learned to use the crib in a completely different (very effective) way--as his time out area. At daycare they have a crib or a mat for him to sleep in. When he's with his caregiver (not daycare), he sleeps in a bed. He thinks the crib is for babies, so he only sleeps in the mat or the bed. We plan to buy him a toddler bed when we get back to the states (we're living in a different country now). Good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 8:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Have a set routine and maybe add a few more books to extend the time she is supposed to wind down. Then tell her it's nap time and leave the room. Now, even after saying that, she may be ready to give up her nap. If she has been resisting for quite awhile it may be just time to go to a "quiet time" after lunch where she plays with something quietly not too far from you. Just an idea. I know babies who gave up their naps this early.

If the nightime nursing you refer to is at bedtime you might substitue a sippy cup that she can take in her crib with her. If it is nursing during the night you should maybe let her CIO but still have the sippy cup with her so she can reach for that. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2011