Is putting your child in school worth the home visits?

One requirement to put the kids in school for Pre-K is having in home visits where the school stops by the home for random visits to make sure the child is being cared for at home. I am uncomfortable with the idea of people just stopping by at their convenience to make sure my house is "up to standards" to keep my child in school. I thought it was for educational purposes to have my child in school.

I opted out of the Pre-K classes this year...so in 2011 my boy will start Kindergarten and the in home inspections will be off the table. I don't consider school a babysitter...I want him to be educated. My house isn't spotless...it's lived in...I read to my kids when I can and they are cared for...heck, they're still alive...so that's a plus. Why the in home visits? I have no idea.

Is it worth it to put up with the in home visits to put the child in Pre-K? Does your school do this as a requirement to get in?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 1:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't send my kids to a school that required home visits. It's an invasion of privacy.
    I almost sent my 9yo and 8yo to this charter school when they were in kindy and 1st but then I saw one of the requirements was a home visit to get to know the kid and I said, "no freaking way." If they want to get to know my kid I'll bring them over to the school so they can look around but I'm not having people with mandatory reporting responsibilities in my house judging my parenting.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• nedver heard of anything like this
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 1:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• this is one of the reasons I homeschool my kids...the school district thinks they have the right to parent the parents! Absolutely not would I allow a home visit from a school rep. They have no business in my home
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It would only bother me if I am ashamed or have something to hide.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I've never heard of such a thing!! That is ridiculous!! If they ever showed up randomly to my house, they wouldn't be allowed in.

I homeschool my kids. The government is too involved in our business!!!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Are you talking about a Head Start program? Is the program based on financial aid or early intervention of some sort?

I've never heard of home visits for preschool before. Both my kids attended a private preschool for two years and home visits were never part of it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I pay for my son's Montessori preschool....$500/month part-time (4 hours/day). I'll be damned if I let them in my home so that I "qualify" for it.

This must be a requirement for state-sponsored preschool...
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The local Head Start program has home visits but the public preschool doesn't. I work at the school and I still wouldn't want them coming to my house. Let me be the parent and they can be the teacher.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 11:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• They never came to my house even though they threatened it in the paperwork. I think its worth it. My daughter adores preschool
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Hi,

My son was in Pre-K for 2 years in a row... the first year he was barely talking and they did home visits (which were fine by me because there is nothing in my home that I would worry about them being concerned--not saying you have dangerous things laying about and things like that.. just saying that's part of the reason I didn't mind.

But I think the home visit is more than just... checking to see if you are caring for your child... it's also basically a parent/teacher conference between you and the Pre-K teacher.

I should note... the first year my son was in Pre-K he was in a special class because he had a significant speech delay and the home visits were a way to watch him interact with his home environment and to check with us one on one to see if we had any concerns.

Now, I do not know what state you live in... My kids went to school for the last 4 years in Virginia and the home visits were part of the program (c)
    Randomosity2

Answer by Randomosity2 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2011