Single Moms, Military Moms

What are your kids bed time routine like, especially if you have more than one little one and you are stuck doing it all on your own because SO is not there? My husband works out of town and bedtime stresses me out having to do it all by myself. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, both in big girl beds now. How do you do it?

Jennnnnifer

Asked by Jennnnnifer at 3:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my kids were little, my routine was we would do baths and brush teeth with them both in the same tub. When they got too big for this (I have 1 boy and one girl, 15 mos apart), then one would get to watch tv or play quietly with toys while one got a bath, then switch. (They took turns who went first each night.) Then they both brushed teeth.

Followed by all 3 of us snuggling up on the couch or in a big chair and reading a bedtime story. Then they both went to their beds. Whoever went first with bath went last with goodnight kiss. I would go in to help say bedtime prayers, and spend about 5 minutes or so tucking them in, then go in and do the same thing with the other one. That was when they had their own rooms - when they shared a room, same thing, just didn't have to change rooms - who got tucked in first switched each night.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have four kids. 3 or in school & one is a baby.. It takes alot of preping & planning through out the day 4 me. I have to start a little early in the evening & not everytime it runs smooth but we mannage. We eat dinner then the two girls get the bath 2gether than my son. I wash up the baby. Then we all sit dwn & watch tv or talk till bed time. Then its jus me & baby till she falls asleep. Then mayb I sneak in a lil time 4 cafe mom.. Lol
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 4:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My ex traveled for work when my 3 older kids were young. We used to do a group bath and I would scrub down all 3 of them (until my oldest was 5 and then we started doing separate - I have 2 boys, 1 girl). Then we would put on pjs, line them up in the bathroom to brush teeth, then I would read to all 3 of them (they each got to pick one book) at the same time then tuck them in from oldest to youngest (this just worked the easiest for me because the youngest needed a little more snuggling).

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2011