Braxton Hicks contractions that become nearly constant mean slow down or call for help?

I'm 35 and pregnant for the first time, so I'm definitely a touch nervous. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on, and I know my body really well (my husband wonders if I'm a bit over-sensitive!) At 31.5 weeks now, I've had BH contractions for 2 weeks. First day they were intense and I went right to the MD: no dilation, admitted for IV fluid, ruled out infections and problems and decreased the time I can work (3) 4 hour shifts is pretty light! They calmed right down, but now they're nearly constant again with NO strenuous activity. Have other women worked through these or am I supposed to do everything I can to minimize or avoid them???

liz.bigfish

Asked by liz.bigfish at 7:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think you should lay down on your left side to ease them. Usually they will go away if you lay down and relax. def take it easy!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• if you are having more the 6 BH within a 1 hr period is time to go to the hospital, but try to slow down take it easy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Try to lay down as much as you can, and call your doctor if you get more than 5-6 in an hour......that's what they told me.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Slow down and drink some water. If they still persist get on over to L&D in case it is pre-term labor and not BH.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have the same problem without any activity. They get a lot worse if I stress at all or don't drink enough water. If you have more than 5-6 an hour for two consecutive hours call your health care provider. Since the only way to tell if they're labor contractions is to check for dilation and thinning progress. Good luck!
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thank you!! I checked in with my OB in the early afternoon and I'm NOT dilated!!! I'm also not allowed to work anymore. Bye, bye 4 hour shifts. Turned in the "out of work until further notice" slip but cowrokers were giving me a hard time! "You don't look upset" and the like! Unexpected source of anxiety!!! Home to put my feet up and those silly contractions stayed medium strong until this morning. I think I'm finally relaxing and letting work go. Much better on my left side and much better when well hydrated. You guys are right on with suggestions. Thanks again!
    liz.bigfish

Comment by liz.bigfish (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2011