Nursing bras that delay your milk coming in???

I read that during the third trimester underwire bras and sports bras push the milk back so it takes longer for the milk to come in after delivery.
What's the story about nursing bras? Any kind is ok? Sports bras are good at the beginning for compression? Did you find that one band size up and one cup size up really fit? I'm ordering online since my tiny town doesn't sell any, but they're not going to fit NOW so..... Not quite 32 weeks along!

liz.bigfish

Asked by liz.bigfish at 7:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why do you want to delay your milk comming in after delivery? are you going to bf or not? if you are going to bf then you dont want to delay you milk comming in. and if not they really dont recommend compressing anymore. but any nursing bra will work. i personally grew during pregancy to one cup bigger but every one is different. some women grew to two cups bigger.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I wore underwire bras and sports bras while I was pregnant, and my milk came in just fine. I bought the nursing bras I have from motherhood maternity. I love them! You want to remember that whatever size you are now will not be the size after your milk comes in. I would add a cupsize.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I started out a full B and jumped up to a DD when my milk came in with the first. Stretchy is key. I like slightly large Jogging/sports bras for nighttime. One band size up- yes. Cup size is less predictable.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I wore underwires with all three of my pregnancies and while nursing and never had a problem. I nursed all three to one year or longer! The key is proper fit. Be professionally measured and allow plenty of room for growth. I tried to buy one that fit me now and then kept a couple of different sizes on hand so I could fit them after my milk came in. I returned what I didn't need and bought more of what I did. Your boobs will go down after a few months and return to a semi normal size. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i dont get it. do u plan to breastfeed or not?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I've always worn a regular underwire bra (went up one cup size after birth). Not supply issues... they don't prevent milk from coming in.

Women do suggest wrapping and wearing a sports bra if you are trying to dry up your supply (and... OUCH!!! Engorgment has got to be the worst feeling in the world, I can't imagine purposefully doing that to yourself!!! Not to mention to infection risk!) But I'm sure a regular sports bra is fine while nursing as long as you're actually nursing your baby.

There's no kind of bra or device I'm aware of that will dry you up or stop milk from coming in as long as you are getting stimulation from baby. It's the lack of stimulation that drys up a supply (or delays it from coming in). All the wrapping and sports bras are probably just to prevent them from wiggling and causing pain during engorgement.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What you heard is not correct by any stretch of the imagination.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Ask the person teaching the breastfeeding class

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thank you! I absolutely want to breastfeed, and apologize for the confusion. in the last trimester what I had heard was: stay away from underwires and sports bras to avoid a delay in your milk coming in... I've had a couple of measurements done during the pregnancy as everything changes (36 b-c went to 36 DD or DDD already!) but I love the feedback about stretchy, sizes will change again, and maybe the overnight biggish sports bra for comfort. I think I'll keep an assortment on hand. Motherhood had an online sale buy 3 get one, and shipping was $6, so I have 8 on the way!
    liz.bigfish

Comment by liz.bigfish (original poster) at 8:10 AM on Feb. 8, 2011